I’m finally finished writing up the nitty-gritty of my mirror molding project.
One of the questions I got a lot of was regarding the mirror, mainly regarding the clips. My mirror has no clips. It has a slot at the base where the mirror rests and then the mirror is glued to the wall.
I’ve read how others with clips have removed one screw to see how well the mirror is attached with glue. I’d recommend a second hand with this, so one can remove 1 screw while the other holds the mirror. If the mirror is held on well with glue, than it’s up to you if you want to attempt this project. I’m not a mirror hanging expert… so continue using your own wisdom.
I made my measurements so the molding would hang over 1/2 inch on all the edges. I did this because I had the space around my mirror to do it, and because I wanted to make sure my mirror was completely covered – call it my fudge-factor!
You can read about the molding I used in detail in THIS previous post. This molding is MDF. I have a power miter saw (I’m sure there is a more technical name for this) that I used to make my cuts. I just recently borrowed this from my dad, but I’ve done most of my molding projects with my miter saw & box. Lowes and Home Depot both sell theses for under $10… they look like this:
They have the 45% angled slots set for you… you just line up your wood and insert your saw in the slots for the angle you want. This is an easy and cheap starting tool for molding work.
One of the most important things to remember while cutting molding is to make sure you have the wood in the right direction when you make the cut (unless it’s a uniform pattern). I chose to have the thicker edge of my mold be on the interior. There were many times while I was cutting that I would stop and lay out my pieces to make sure I was cutting it the correct way… I’ve had plenty of wrong cuts.
Once all my molding was cut I painted. The MDF was already primed, so I just needed to paint them my espresso brown…. if you haven’t read about that drama… HERE is the story.
I used a hot glue gun to attach the molding. I started with the bottom piece, putting the left corner 1/2 inch over from the edge of the mirror. Then I attached the two sides, using a level on the side pieces. Lastly the top piece went in place. I placed the molding directly onto the mirror.
One thing I’ve learned… thanks to my husband ((SMILE)), is that when I’m close up on the mirror (like spitting out my toothpaste), I can see the reflection of the back of the molding in the mirror. So painting the first inch of the backside, that is closest to the exposed mirror, would make it look even better. I “might” get brave and try a blow dryer on the molding to see if the hot glue might loosen so I can paint that inch – because it’s going to BUG me now that I know.
Caulking… I still need to caulk the corners, if I want to really make it look well done. I’m sure I’ll get around to it eventually. If you’ve measured well the corner will match up nicely.
So I hope I answered all your questions… if not, PLEASE let me know!
I’m planning to tackle the bathroom cabinets this next week ~ Wahoo!
Today is the last day to enter Lisa Leonard’s Giveaway… click HERE to enter if you haven’t yet. The giveaway will close at 9 PM (PST) Friday.
I’m linking up to the following parties: