Countdown to Fall Party… Corn Husk Garland

Fall is almost here!!!  Can you believe it?

This week I started to put together my fall mantle.  I don’t know about you, but our stores are not selling any pumpkins, gourds, etc. yet, so I currently only have my faux items out.  I’m sure in a couple weeks I will tweak it, but here is my current fall mantle.

You can see I incorporated some of the other countdown to fall goodies I’ve shared…

my burlap and corn husk pumpkins.

I filled my Pottery Barn’ish mason jar holders with cinnamon sticks…

and some faux pumpkins and gourds I spray painted heirloom white…

Strung across my mantle is my Martha inspired corn husk garland .

I used the same technique of soaking the corn husks in warm water for a few minutes before folding them in half.

Then I used some floral wire (about 3-4 inches long)

and twisted it around the corn husk to keep it folded.

Then I used the remainder of the wire to attach the folded corn husk to the twine.

I have to admit this took a while… between soaking batches of corn husks, cutting wire and twisting, but it’s worth it and it’s something I can save and use for years to come.

So how are you Counting Down to Fall?

I’d love to see your fall goodies… recipes, decor, crafts, traditions… inspire us!

This party is simple… just link up!

As long as it’s fall related you can join in!

I’m sharing my corn husk garland at the wonderful parties in my PARTIES menu bar.

© Copyright Maryann @ Domestically Speaking, All rights Reserved. Written For: Domestically Speaking
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I'm Maryann ~ Here at Domestically Speaking you'll find the some of the things I'm most passionate about... home decor, DIY projects, paint, crafts, recipes and more... all in the pursuit of making a happy hearth.
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

@domesticspeak

Jesus lovin' DIYer, bargain hunter, paint lover, crafter, baker, decorator and glue-gunning mommy of 3 that loves her hubby.
Are you familiar with the blog My Soulful Home... she has lots of great decor, recipes and more and right now... http://t.co/zddfS7MxDy - 2 hours ago
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Latest posts by Maryann @ Domestically Speaking (see all)

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I love Pinterest and have tons of boards of my favorite, inspiring things. I'd love for you to follow along.   Domestically Speaking on Pinterest

Comments

1. Jessica @Decor Adventures says

The garland is amazing! And what beautiful natural light you have in your home, great photos.

Love all the pumpkins :-)

2. Janae @ Somewhat Couture says

I so stealing your faux pottery barn mason jar candle idea! I would have never thought to put out cinnamon sticks. I also love your garland.

3. Tracey says

I love your mantle because it has all the things that are made by you or are special to you. I love the cinnamon sticks idea!!! I will be stealing that one :) This is my first time to link up and am so excited (although, I have followed your blog quietly this year). Thanks for the inspiration.

4. NYCLQ says

LOVE your fall decor! Simple and elegant! Thanks for sharing and for hosting. Just found you so I'm going to link up now :)

Outdoor FL Fall Fix-Up
    :D Lynda

5. Emily says

Please OH PLEASE tell/show me how you did that clock right on your wall! Where did you find the center/rotating thing? Its beautiful!
    Thanks!
    Em

6. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says

I love the garland! It turned out so pretty! I wanted to make a corn husk wreath this year and guess what? I found one at the thrift store for $4! So I bought it! :)

7. Sherry says

I enjoyed looking at your mantle and found many ideas for adding to my Fall decor. I am just getting started. I love the cornhusk garland. I have some corn husks at home left from the cornhusk wreath I made last year, I will have to look for that because it is stored away somewhere. I enjoyed my visit and will check out others linked to your post.

8. Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife says

awesome! I have two questions: how did you create the clock on the wall and where do I buy this heirloom white paint I keep seeing on blogs? I checked a couple of stores and couldn't find it…

9. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking says

Hi Red Head… If I had worked straight through it probably would have taken about an hour and 1/2, I spread it over days though. Last fall I made my corn husk wreath and it still looked beautiful this year… so I think if it's packed properly it should last for years.

10. Red Head says

So pretty! I was wanting to make one, but a little intimidated by the length of time that it may take. Thanks for being honest about that! I'll be sure to set aside some time to making this. How long do you thing it will last?

11. Becca says

Your mantle is beautiful !! I'm visiting from It's So Very Cheri and am a new follower! The corn husk garland is incredible. And, I love all the textures and creativity you display on your mantle. Thanks for sharing, Becca

12. Hopscotch Dandelions says

Love the corn husk garland

I added my pumpkin to your list #107 but I messed up & entered my name instead of a description

13. Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal says

Oh darn, I forgot to look for the corn husks when I was at Publix today! What did you say it was near?

Your mantel looks great! I love the garland.

14. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking says

Our Life In A Click… I buy my corn husk in the ethnic food aisle in my grocery stores… should be near the Mexican food section for making tamales.

15. Kristi says

You host the best parties!! I love your mantel! Also, thanks for the cinnamon sticks idea. I'm gonna do that too, but I just need to put them out of dog's reach!

~ The Speckled Dog