In planning our master bedroom makeover, I decided I wanted one wall to be a gallery wall. I’m working on an assortment of sentimental goodies to fill my long wall, but I decided early on that I also wanted to paint a piece of art for our bedroom.
Here is my finished painting and here is the Ballard Designs artwork that was my inspiration…
Alrighty… let’s get started on the “HOW TO”…
4 16”x20” canvases
Paint Brushes in the following sizes: 1/8” 1/4” and 1/2” and a 1” foam brush
Mallie at DecoArt sent me their amazing Americana acrylic paints in the following colors: Dried Basil Green, Celery Green, Traditional Raw Umber, Shale Green, Snow (Titanium) White, Driftwood and Cool Neutral
Benjamin Moore’s Serenata paint
Spray bottle of water
#1… I started by giving all 4 canvases a base coat of Benjamin Moore’s Serenata paint. This is the same color that I painted the wall of our master bedroom. I used the foam brush to paint the base coat.
#2… Decide to stop overthinking! I think this is the hardest step of painting. I know my personality is very logical, but to paint this style of painting you can’t overthink! Remember if you HATE it, you can paint over it!!!!
#3… I started with Shale Green first…
There really is no rhythm or reason to where I placed the paint… just swish it around where ever you want. (I used the 1/2” brush).
#4… Driftwood was next…
You can see that some are kind of a cloud effect and others are just swish back and forth (I know, such technical terms).
#5… Add some Celery Green.
#6… Add some Snow White and then lightly spray the white paint and blend it with the colors around it.
#7… I did the same with Raw Umber and Cool Neutral. I painted some of each color around the canvases and then sprayed those painted areas lightly with water. Sometimes I would blend the whole area, other types I would just feather the outer edges into the colors around it.
#8… Then I took some of the Benjamin Moore Serenata paint (which is the base coat color) and painted, sprayed and blended some more. I mainly focused with the blue on any areas that seemed to harsh or dominant. I wanted the background to have lots of layers, but to be serene.
Tomorrow I’ll share how I did the branches… super easy!Domestically Speaking