130th Power of Paint Party… Neighbor’s Freebie

Welcome Paint Lovers to this week’s Power of Paint Party, a party to showcase paint and only paint projects.

On Saturday, when we returned home from our son’s baseball playoff game, I noticed that one of our neighbors had hulled out this armoire to the curb.  They were in their garage so I asked if it was free… and it was!!

armoire 3

So… I’m trying to decide where to put it, so I can figure out what to do with it???

armoire 1

Definitely needs some fixing of the hardware… don’t you love how they kept it closed!

armoire 2

Love the chunky hardware!

Any great suggestions??

So what have you been painting?

Power of Paint Party Rules:

#1… This is a PAINT party… so pretty please, link-up only paint related projects.

#2… I’d love if you put my nifty POPP button (you can find it up in my menu bar’s BUTTONS) in your blog post or a link back to this party somewhere on your blog… that way others from your blog can check out all the paint projects too. (not a requirement but always appreciated)

#3… Share the Love… visit the other paint pals.

**** Don’t forget… submit your paint project to my other blog, Power of Paint, to have it featured there!!!

© Copyright Maryann @ Domestically Speaking, All rights Reserved. Written For: Domestically Speaking
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I'm Maryann ~ Here at Domestically Speaking you'll find the some of the things I'm most passionate about... home decor, DIY projects, paint, crafts, recipes and more... all in the pursuit of making a happy hearth.
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

@domesticspeak

Jesus lovin' DIYer, bargain hunter, paint lover, crafter, baker, decorator and glue-gunning mommy of 3 that loves her hubby.
I've definitely got the fall bug! A Prudent Life has her fall projects underway... check out these cuties! http://t.co/kHCWggeTeR - 2 hours ago
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Latest posts by Maryann @ Domestically Speaking (see all)

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I love Pinterest and have tons of boards of my favorite, inspiring things. I'd love for you to follow along.   Domestically Speaking on Pinterest

Comments

Love it! I once drove by a pair of amazing two-tiered end tables a la the 1960s and my husband wouldn’t let me load them up… Sad day! When we moved into our house a couple years ago we were given an armoire by some family, big and chinky like yours. We are currently using it in our dining room as a bar. It holds all of our wine and cocktail style glasses, and the cupboards underneath hold the wine and alcohol we’re not using that night. It’s great to be able to just open it up and have a drink station ready to go at party time. Good luck with yours, I know it will be something great!

2. Sarah says

I would use the “key lime” green spray pain and paint the edges only. Then paint the whole think with a glossy white.

Then, get a biek chain and rough up the edges only, so the green shows throuhg in a distressed way.

3. Rebecca says

Wow, free! I have started looking for something similar to use in my kitchen. My teens come home from school & sports alwasy just as I get in the kitchen to cook a meal OR when I just finish cleaning it. I want an armoire to retrofit as a drink/snack bar away from the main cook area. It will include a small microwave, small plates, silverware, juice glasses and a small refrigerator (1.5 cu ft). They can then go to the snack bar and heat up their snack or fix morning coffee (include all fixings for morning drinks) without getting in the way of the cook or messing up the whole kitchen. In between cleanups, just close the door when unexpected guests arrive. With that in mind, I would paint this a fun but light color, paper the back wall inside, install little shelves for the glassware, remove one drawer to allow for the undercounter refrigerator and away you go. That is of course if you have space in your kitchen, breakfast nook or dining for such a huge piece. I do want to see the finished project you come up with.

Awesome Score! It has beautiful bones! It will look great in any color and work great in a bedroom, family room or just about anywhere. Add some shelves and make customized storage. I want it – lol!

i love kim’s idea of using it for outdoor storage! t hat would be awesome! then you could paint it a nice weathered color and give it a fun pop of green or pink on the inside and hang garden tools in there.

I have a similar piece of rustic Mexican furniture that I painted white (boring I know!). It changed the whole look from rustic to shabby chic. I think your piece has a ton of potential…it could store LOTS of stuff. I love the idea of a pale aqua. Thanks for hosting the party and I’m looking foward to what you do with that piece.

I cannot wait to see what you do with that freebie piece … I have a chunky pine armoire in my living room and need to figure out what to do with it too! It’s large and takes up quite a bit of real estate …

Oh, and if you want to make it an outside piece, I keep seeing a project where a blogger turned an armoire into a potting shed. She’s probably hooked it up here too …

Linda

I love this piece – what a great find! I think I hear it screaming for paint. I think it would look great used as an open display. Color would depend on what you’re displaying, but I love the sage green with dark hardware idea – or maybe a distressed blue-green. I look forward to seeing what you decide – have fun!

What a great find – for free – I’m so jealous,lol
    Many thanks for hosting – and can’t wait to see
    what you do with that gorgeous piece
    Hugs,
    Suzan

I was also given a cabinet that looked alot like this…. free! I badly needed kitchen storage so I redid the inside to give me more storage. I planned on painting and distressing it, but then I found a piece that fit my kitchen even better ( that piece was really too large for my kitchen) so I gave it away. You can see what I did to the inside if you go to my blog http://ms-smartie-pants.blogspot.com/2011/06/cabinette-transformation.html. Looking forward to see what you do with it!

Hi Maryann, thanks for hosting the party. I just bought a bench and started painting it this week and it is made out of the same wood and has the same hardware as your free piece. On the back it was stamped made in Mexico. I am painting mine black with a top coat of my favorite green and it is still a work in progress. Don’t really have any suggestions for your piece. I think it needs a strong color because of the style and size. Kathy

I kinda like the hinges. The shape is so unique. Not sure what I would do with it.. maybe a light sage color with dark hardware. It could be really pretty as a potting table on the back porch. Stacked with pots and plants.. and the hand tools in the drawers.