Easy Way to Remove Hard Water Stains

Hi Friends!  Hope you had a wonderful weekend.  A couple of months ago when we replaced our kitchen faucet I ran into a cleaning dilemma.  The area around our old faucet had hard water stains and our new faucet came with a smaller faceplate showing all of those icky hard water stains now.

How to Get Rid of Hard Water Stains

Gorgeous new faucet surrounded by hard water stains… not so pretty!  I started by trying various cleaners and nothing seemed to make it budge.  So I figured, why not try vinegar!

How to Get Rid of Hard Water Stains

I took a couple of paper towels and soaked them with basic white vinegar and wrapped it around the base where the hard water stain was and left it overnight to soak and work it’s magic.

How to Get Rid of Hard Water Stains

In the morning I used those same paper towels that had been wrapped around the faceplate to rub off those hard water stains.  Most just rubbed right off.  A couple areas took a little more work, but nothing to break a sweat over.

How to Get Rid of Hard Water Stains

Amazing right?  Such a simple and cheap way to get rid of those hard water stains.

Well friends… I hope that tips helps you.

Thanks for stopping by!

© Copyright 2013 Maryann @ Domestically Speaking, All rights Reserved. Written For: Domestically Speaking
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I'm Maryann ~ Here at Domestically Speaking you'll find the some of the things I'm most passionate about... home decor, DIY projects, paint, crafts, recipes and more... all in the pursuit of making a happy hearth.
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

@domesticspeak

Jesus lovin' DIYer, bargain hunter, paint lover, crafter, baker, decorator and glue-gunning mommy of 3 that loves her hubby.
We'd love to see what you've been creating... stop by and share at this week's Inspire Me Monday linky party!... http://t.co/xWChmXWDkw - 2 hours ago
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Latest posts by Maryann @ Domestically Speaking (see all)

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I love Pinterest and have tons of boards of my favorite, inspiring things. I'd love for you to follow along.   Domestically Speaking on Pinterest

Comments

Do not leave on for more than 30 min tops. Thats why your finish and countertops are getting ruined. Dont need to leave on overnight or several hours. Same for toliet and tub.

You all do not need to leave on overnight or several hours, thats why its ruined your finish and countertops. Only leave on for 30min. tops. Same with toliet and tub!!

3. Anonymous says

If you are all leaving this on overnight or even for several hours thats why its ruined your finish or countertops. You only need to leave it on for 30 min tops. Even the toliet and tub!!

4. Debbie Heafner says

Love this idea. It worked perfect for me. On the harder spots, I just let it soak a little longer. Thank you.

5. Anonymous says

While the vinegar worked. It let my marble on my counter tops dull . How can I restore shine to marble counter tops?? Help!!

6. Michelle says

I have terrible hard water stains on the outside of my kitchen window due to sprinklers hitting the window. I have tried several treatments of the vinegar – baking soda & lemon juice & I still cannot get this window clean. Help……any advice out there?

7. CleverCanadian says

I also put vinegar in my washing in place of the fabric softener. It really works and it keeps the machine clean as well.

8. Beth says

I did this last night, before reading the comments. It did remove the stains, however, it removed the finish on my faucet. Please post warning!!!!!

• Anonymous says

I had the same problem. Bought stainless steel faucets, expensive, but worth every cent! No more corrosion! My water is hard too.

9. Lee Ann Yeager says

We have iron stains in our toilet, tub and bathroom sink. Vinegar doesn’t work not bleach. Iron out is the only thing that we found that works.

• Anonymous says

I use The Works for the toilet. For the bathtub I use Barkeepers Friend. It is in a container like Comet is in. Wet the tub, sprinkle the cleanser & let stand no more than 2 minutes. With a sponge scrubber wipe the cleanser all over the stains. You will see the stain disappearing before you eyes.

• Anonymous says

the works, is the best stuff, i have ever used for Iron stains. you don’t even have to scrub. just put in tolit and swish around with a brush, and it is as whit as brand new!!

10. Sharon says

It also ruined my faucet as it did some of the other posters. It is like a film or finish is coming off the faucet which is brushed nickel but now has pits and whitish areas.

• Anonymous says

Do not need to leave vinegar on there
      that long, Also try lemon juice on granite. You should be able to just pour or spray some on the hard water stains, let sit a few minutes, then rub until it is removed.

• Leona Burdett says

Many less expensive, and a few expensive faucets have a protective coating on them so you can’t really scrub them or use most cleaners on them. Just always keep them dried after using so hard wTer and other deposits are rubbed off all the time. Use a soft or microfiber cloth. A lot of modern faucets are basically PVC plastic with a metal overlay. They do not last as long as real metal ones.

This is so ironic that I came across this, because I actually clean my stainless steel refrigerator– near the water and ice is black, and I clean it with white vinegar. I let it sit there for a few minutes, then wipe it with paper towels. The paper towels were soaked with the vinegar. … so I decided to let it sit around the faucet. Came off clean just like this! Isn’t it amazing when we find something that is so harmless…. but works so great! Thank you for sharing! And, great pics!

12. Cristiana says

Just a warning, I have the same hard water problems and a brand new chrome faucet. The vinegar ruined the finish on my faucet!! Do not use it if you have chrome!!

• T says

I have tried vinegar on the hardwater spots… let set.. then tried vinegar with baking soda..let sit.. and sit NOPE..the worst part is the accumulation under the tap .. it rotates.. down is off.. up is on and totally white.. so unless i turn the water off totally are there any more suggestions for removing the hard water buildup ??????

• Colleen says

Same here. I have tried the vinegar ‘solution’ several times along with every other magical solution I can possibly find and absolutely nothing resolves the problem for me either. sigh.

• Kari says

When I moved into my new house there was hard water build up all over my sinks and taps. I used the solution where you heat approx a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the microwave, then pour into a spray bottle and add a squirt of blue dawn dish soap. I sprayed it on and let it sit for a fair amount of time, then I scrubbed it off with a magic eraser. Nothing was left behind. This worked for me after plain ol’ vinegar spray did not.

• Beachgirl says

I’ve tried vinegar with no luck either but I recently found Bar Keepers Friend, the soft scrub version worked amazing for me!!