Kitchen Makeover Underway… Plans and Dreams

Happy Sunday Friends…. I am so excited to share that our kitchen makeover is finally underway.  Since we moved into our home 6+ years ago I’ve been wanting to paint our kitchen cabinets.  So today I’ve got some before shots to share… some for certain plans… and the dreams (those not certain plans) that I’d love to hear your thoughts on.

Classic Beachy Glam Kitchen Plans

So there’s a glance at my kitchen dreams.   Here’s where I am at currently.  I just started priming the kitchen walls.

kitchen before 2

You can see the chaos has begun…

kitchen before 3

Good-bye green walls and maple cabinets!

kitchen before 1

First step… painting the walls!  Our kitchen walls and nook area are going gray.  I’ve picked out a gorgeous gray that’s a beautiful gray somewhere between light and mid tone.  I think they will look gorgeous with the cabinets…

because our kitchen cabinets are going white!

Cabinetry Elegance

BHG

can’t wait to see how it looks.  It’s almost a pure white but with a bit of gray undertone.   This week (if I can get rid of this head cold) I hope to tackle all the painting.  Easier for me mentally to have a week of craziness!

Countertops! Seems like there’s almost as many options as paint colors now days.  Here’s the direction I’m thinking.  For our main countertops something marble-like.  Mainly white with some gray tones.

3460 Calacatta Marble

source

And for our island I’d love to go with a dark butcher block.

Grothouse Lumber Company Wenge Island

source

The backsplash I’m still contemplating.  I’m hoping once the painting and counters are done it will be super clear to me.  Here’s the options I’m considering though…

Glass Gray tiles or….

White subway tiles with gray grout

or gray subway tile with white grout

For the flooring I want to redo most of the downstairs with some beautiful engineered hardwood and bamboo.  Something on the dark side.

I love this handscraped bamboo

or something smoother like this engineered hardwood.

The accents and accessories is where I want to bring in that beachy feel.  Here’s some lighting options…

Possini Euro Arlo 15 3/4" Wide Chrome Pendant Light

Beautiful chrome pendant light or

Clift Oversized Glass Pendant - Clear

this beautiful oversized glass pendant. to place over the island or kitchen sink.

I’m planning for accessories in beachy blues and greens to tie it all together.  I’m super excited to finally be starting this project and I can’t wait to share the process with you!

© Copyright 2014 Maryann @ Domestically Speaking, All rights Reserved. Written For: Domestically Speaking
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I'm Maryann ~ Here at Domestically Speaking you'll find the some of the things I'm most passionate about... home decor, DIY projects, paint, crafts, recipes and more... all in the pursuit of making a happy hearth.
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

@domesticspeak

Jesus lovin' DIYer, bargain hunter, paint lover, crafter, baker, decorator and glue-gunning mommy of 3 that loves her hubby.
I've definitely got the fall bug! A Prudent Life has her fall projects underway... check out these cuties! http://t.co/kHCWggeTeR - 56 mins ago
Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

Latest posts by Maryann @ Domestically Speaking (see all)

Maryann @ Domestically Speaking

I love Pinterest and have tons of boards of my favorite, inspiring things. I'd love for you to follow along.   Domestically Speaking on Pinterest

Comments

I love all of your selections, Maryann. All of them are timeless. I love the silver pendants! Very unique and also timeless. I am so excited for you! Very fun for us to follow along. We are just in the beginning stages of planning our final home, and I have been thinking about our future kitchen. I will use your posts for reference. That marble is exactly what I am thinking too. The dark butcher block will go so beautifully. Can’t wait to see more…get painting girl! :)

2. Talitha says

We did the white subway tile with black grout and it looks amazing. Also did plywood floor but into strips like hardwood -nailed, glued, sanded and painted with dark chocolate porch paint. It came to .34 sq. ft. And holds up super we’ll to pets and heavy traffic. Your idea board is awesome!

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

Sounds gorgeous Talitha! I’d love to see your floor. It sounds so cool and amazing!

These choices are gorgeous!

I wanted something SO similar to all of these things but they were way over our budget at the end of our foreclosure remodel so we went with…stock, unfinished cabinets from Lowe’s, laminate countertops, and butcher block countertop island from Lumber Liquidators!

Slowly, it’s coming together, although I still need a backsplash!

I cannot wait to follow along and see your progress and choices! You are so inspiring living through it!! :)

~Amber
    Amber recently posted…The Pantry DoorMy Profile

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

Hi hear you Amber – Kitchen makeovers aren’t cheap! We’re hoping to do most of it ourselves and I’m hoping it doesn’t take the next 2 years of our lives ;)

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

Thanks Cindy! I’ve been dreaming of this makeover for ages… it’s so nice to finally have it starting.

Mary-Ann, what colour are you painting your cabinets? Are they going to the be the same white as the trim?

Love the Knitting Needles choice, btw. We decided to go with Benjamin Moore’s Gray Owl cut 50% so it actually will be quite similar!!
    Sarah by the Sea recently posted…February in reviewMy Profile

5. Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke says

Love it all, it looks exactly like my ideas board. Only difference is we want lighter floors. Will be watching with interest to see what you choose.

6. Ann says

It’s going to look beautiful when it’s done. One comment though- while dark floors look great in pictures, the upkeep is a nightmare. Every footprint, dog hair and dusty spot is magnified tenfold. So, expect to do a lot of sweeping!

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

That’s my one worry Ann and everyone who has them is saying the same thing too. I’m definitely rethinking that option… although I LOVE the look!

7. Bonnie says

What is the name of the gray paint you prefer? Just wondering, grays can be difficult to pick. (if you don’t mind sharing)

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

Not at all Bonnie… I’ve gone with Knitting Needles by Sherwin Williams. Hopefully I’ll have a post up showing the wall color in the next couple weeks.

That is exciting! We are also in the process of remodeling, we began the tear out at the end of December and have had a slow down in the process. I can’t wait to see your reveal!
    Sally
    Loveofhomes.com

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

Yes… I’m a bit scared about how long my kitchen will be in pieces Sally. It will all be worth it in the end though.

9. Donna Petersen says

I so want to do this to my kitchen! I love your paint choices! I look forward to seeing more post on this and see how it all turns out!

Just wondering why you are priming the walls.. I am an interior decorator and painter… usually you do with a dark color.. or I use the paint and primer in one. It is one less step ..just a suggestion.. also I have the same shade of cabinets in my kitchen and I want to paint them white too… I know what is involved so I have been putting it off… good luck to you.. maybe you will inspire me to just do it!

• Maryann @ Domestically Speaking says

Elle I’m priming because it’s a semi-gloss paint on the walls already and because I want to make sure the gray is exactly the color I want it to be with no hints of green. I hear ya… I’d much rather skip the step, but for this project it’s worth the step. Rather one coat of primer and one coat of paint than 2 coats of paint (cheaper). Yes… hopefully you’ll be inspired. I’ve been putting this one off too. :)