Baker’s Twine Heart
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, this Baker’s Twine Heart is a fun Valentine craft project. I used a cool piece of wood for the background that I scored from a neighbor, but any wood will work, and you can make this heart any size you want.
I love string art and this project is a great way to add some Valentine’s Day decor to your home. I hope you enjoy this DIY tutorial.
So had some Valentine’s crafting fun!
Affiliate links are provided for your convenience.
- piece of wood, just need it at least 1″ thick wooden board
- red and white baker’s twine
- 1″ nails
- painter’s tape
How to Make a String Art Heart
To make this heart string art I started by printing a heart on an 8.5”x11” paper. You can search online and find a free one, or fold a piece of paper in half and draw out half the heart, cut, and open for your heart.
Then I used some painter’s tape to hold the piece of paper in place before adding the nails.
Then I hammered in some nails about 1/4” apart around the heart. I hammered the nails on top of the paper. (see the image above)
Once all the nails were hammered in I tore the paper off. Now you have your heart shape with the nails.
Figuring out the pattern for the string art design to wrap the baker’s twine took the longest. I started by trying filling in the right section, but ended up going with an alternating pattern… left, right, left, right.
So I started that the top center nail and tied the string off there. Then I went down to the bottom center nail and wrapped around that nail. Then back up to the top, one nail over to the left of the center one and wrapped around there. Then back down to the nail just to the right of the bottom center and wrapped around that nail. Then I just kept going to create this cool valentine’s day craft with bakers twine.
Don’t you love baker’s twine!
And I love all the contrasting elements… cheery twine, metal, and textured wood.
This Baker’s Twine Heart is a pretty piece of art for Valentine’s Day. String art makes a great gift.
Baker’s Twine String Heart Art
- pair of scissors
- 1 wood board at least 1 inch thick
- baker's twine I used red and white
- 50 1 inch nails depending on the size of your heart you will need more or less
- Draw or print out a heart shape in the size you want that will fit on the board you want to use.
- Tape your heart paper onto the board.
- Hammer your nails into the heart tracing (on top of the paper). Put your nails about ¼" apart from each other. (That is edge of the nail head to the next nail head) You can do whatever size you think works best of the heart size you've selected.
- Repeat until you have a heart shape with your nails.
- Tear off the paper with the drawn heart.
- Decide where you want to start your string. I started in the top center nail. I tied off the string and then went down to the center bottom nail and wrapped around that nail.
- Then I took the string up to the nail just to the left of the center nail. Wrap the string around that nail.
- Then I took the string down to the nail just to the right of center and wrapped the string around that nail.
- Then continue the pattern. So next would be going up to the top, going to the nail 2 over from center, wrapping around it.
- Then going down and wrapping around the nail that is 2 over to the right from center. Wrap the string and keep the pattern going.
- When you finish wrapping all the nails, tie off the string and cut off the excess.
What is the best string to use for string art?
I’ve used baker’s twine, jute twine and yarn for string art projects. I think the key is that you don’t want anything too thin or too thick. You don’t want to string to snap as you are wrapping it around the nails, but if it’s too thick then you won’t see the detail on the cool project you make. Other than that I think, use your imagination and give it a try! Dig around in your craft supplies and see what you have to create with.
Other String Art Projects
Happy Crafting! Hope you make a bakers twine heart soon or you find inspiration to create your own project using simple shapes. This would be fun for any holiday season.
- Halloween / Fall – Pumpkin shape
- Spring – Simple Flower or Easter Egg
- Christmas – you can find the link to my Christmas Tree art above, a DIY string art ornament would be cute too
- Summer – flag for the 4th of July, or a seashell for summer
BRILLIANT upcycle, Maryann, and a fabulous idea to use baker’s twine!
I’d love for you to join us over at the Creative Crafts Linky Party every Wednesday through Sunday
Followed and Pinned!
This is cute and seems so easy to do! I have some baker’s twine and lots of scrap wood and nails – This is the perfect project for after Christmas!
We love baker’s twine and string art projects! Your Valentine heart looks great!
Your string heart is super cute. Thanks for sharing.
This is so sweet. Love the bakers twine against the wood – so pretty!
Thanks for sharing,
Hello cute lady! I’m stopping by to let you know that your heart is my favorite from our last party! Woo Hoo! We will be featuring it at our party tonight at 7 pm. I hope to see you there! Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls
that is so pretty! I love the bakers twine…. adorable. Pinning and featuring today on Nap-Time Creations with the Create Link Inspire features…
This is SO cute! I love string art. Great idea using bakers twine, too! 🙂
Love this and thanks for sharing, but can you be more definitive about your wrapping technique?
I was wondering about the same thing.Where is the begining point for each nail and where is the ending point? Thank you
I made this about 8 years ago, but I believe I started in the top center. Tied the string there and then went straight down to the bottom center nail, wrapped the string around that one. Then went back up to the top, 1 off center to the left, then down to the bottom, 1 off center to the right. Then continued that pattern. So next would be top, 2 off center to the left, to the bottom, 2 off center to the right. I hope that makes sense. Happy crafting!
I love this idea. Really clever also. Sending out on social media today. Linda Crafts a la mode
love this!. going to make asap 🙂 thanks for the idea
I adore this beautiful heart! Pinning to my Valentine’s group board… tons of fun!
What a perfect Valentine. You are so talented. Love it.
This is so pretty. A string art project has been on my To do list like forever! I’m seeing that baker’s twine in so many projects now. Need to get my hands on that soon. Pinning it.
So cute! Takes me way back when string art velvet pictures were the norm. I LOVE this update!
Such a cute project! Thanks for the inspiration!
How creative, Thanks for the idea and inspiration!
Do you do anything that isn’t fabulous? 🙂 LOVE this! Sharing on my FB wall!
How sweet and creative! Love your bakers twine heart!!!
I love this idea! I have a three day weekend coming up and a brand new spool of baker’s twine and hope to try this project this weekend.
Love this! I’ve been wanting to do something with turquoise baker’s twine and nails in my bathroom for some wall art. This is inspiring!
This is darling Maryann! I love it!
I saw this featured at SNAP! Show & Tell Wednesday. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Thanks for sharing … Pinning! 😉
Have a great day!
– Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com
Where did you get that piece of wood?!
This is really cute. Makes me want to decorate for Valentines day. I am hosting a new link party. I would love it if you would link up.
Really cool, unique and pretty idea!
This is so darn awesome….love the wood, nail and twine combo!
This is SO adorable!!
Absolutely love it and am so thrilled that I have everything I need to make one right here on hand! Yay!
This is so perfect! I love how you mixed a bit of a rustic look with fun holiday decor. I want one 🙂
I heart this heart! Pinned and shared on my FB page!
Ahhh this is so dang cute and super creative!
This is so cute! I’ve seen similar done with nails & string years and years ago…so long I can’t remember what was made. But yours is adorable!
This is a great project. I really admire crafting and crafters….it takes patience that I just don’t have. Your bakers twine heart is a great combination of pretty and rustic.
Love this, so cute!!!
The texture is beautiful! I love it.
So cute–I am sure my daughter would love to try this with some rainbow colored string.
LOVE it! I love all the mix of elements together as well! 🙂
oh my gosh, love this!
That is so cute – I love it. My wheels are turning as to all the things you could do with this idea. Thanks for sharing…