Hello again, my friends, and happy fall! I’m Sarah from Little Red Brick House and I’m so glad to be back with another project! I thought I’d hop on Maryann’s burlap bandwagon and create a fun project using the lovely fabric.
I’ve had this old bulletin board that we used for homeschooling gathering dust for a few years now and I thought it was high time I put it to use again. It’s in pretty good shape except for a few spots where the cork pulled away from the cardboard backing. The burlap was just the thing I needed to cover those spots.
First, I carefully removed the old frame from the board. I thought it was plastic but it was actually some kind of painted cardboard. I had a little bit of trouble pulling it off because some parts were glued on really well. I used a flathead screwdriver to wedge under the frame and pry it from the board. On some parts the screwdriver poked small holes but I figured it was okay since that part would be covered by the frame later.
After the frame was removed, it was time to cover the bulletin board in burlap. I laid out my fabric in two layers because my burlap was woven pretty loosely. Then I placed the board face down on the burlap.
I folded the burlap under twice and used a manual staple gun to secure the burlap to the back of the board, making sure to pull the fabric tight as I stapled. Then I trimmed the corner fabric down so it wouldn’t be so bulky.
I wanted to frame my bulletin board out with a more rustic frame. First, I used some 1×4 boards with mitered corners. I laid the frame out on the ground and then carefully placed the bulletin board on top, making sure to center the frame with equal space on all sides.
Then I trimmed out the rest of the frame with 1×2 boards placed on their sides. I decided to add this part because from the sides you’d be able to see the burlap stapled the back of the bulletin board. I decided not to miter these boards.
The last step was to apply my favorite rustic stain to the frame. First, I wiped on some Rustoleum Weathered Gray and then immediately wiped it off. The I followed that with a layer of Minwax Provincial, wiping that off after 5 minutes. I love the outcome of this staining method.
I love that I was able to take something old and unused and give it new life! Plus, it fits in much better with my home decor than the original version did.
I’d love to stay in touch with you! Follow along with all of my other DIYs on my social media outlets below.