I’m going to show you how to make moss eggs! My Spring Mantel features these cute moss eggs, so today I’m sharing how incredibly easy they are to make. Moss and spring go hand-in-hand. When spring arrives we are craving vibrant green colors and these DIY moss eggs are a great way to add some Easter decor to your home.
Moss Egg Supplies:
affiliate links for your convenience
- plastic Easter eggs – I used standard Easter egg size, but you could use any size you like
- bag of moss
- hot glue gun
- glue sticks
Making Your Moss Eggs
I purchased my bag of moss at Michael’s, but you can find it at a craft store and online too this time of year (see the link above for an online option).
This project is a little messy, between the moss and the hot glue, but like I said, it’s super easy.
Working with the moss is pretty easy. Usually you can just pull off what you need, but if you find it easier you could use some craft scissors.
I covered about 1/4 of the egg at a time with hot glue, and then just stuck a bunch of moss on top of the hot glue. Keep working your way around the egg, adding glue and then pieces of moss. When it’s covered make sure to give it a squeeze to help the moss lay a bit flatter around the egg.
- Hot Glue Gun
- glue sticks
- plastic eggs
- I used regular sized plastic Easter eggs, but you could use whatever size you want. How many you make and their size will determine how much moss you will need to cover them.
- Grab one of cheap plastic eggs (no real eggs here) and decide where you want to start. I started on one end and worked my way.
- I squeeze the hot glue onto about ¼ of the egg and then grabbed a chunk of moss off the sheet moss. Place it onto the hot glue and gently press, being careful not to burn your fingers. (Keep a bowl of cool water nearby if you need to).
- Repeat the process until the egg is covered with moss.
- Then give the egg a squeeze to help the moss stick well and to help the moss lay down flatter against the egg's surface.
- Repeat the process until you have as many eggs as your heart desires.