Hello again, Domestically Speaking readers! Sarah, from Little Red Brick House, bringing you another DIY project. This one was a booger to complete, with all of the steps and then shipping issues with the hardware, but my husband and I prevailed and are so excited to share our new TV console with you. When I first saw the Restoration Hardware Printmaker’s TV console, I was instantly smitten and knew that I had to make one for myself. I love the character from all of the pulls on the front of the doors and the beautiful signature Restoration Hardware grey washed stain.
I found the plans to build the unit on Ana White (love that site). I changed things up a bit and decided to forgo the top drawers and just keep the space open for our cable box and game consoles. We bought the select pine from Home Depot because it’s great quality and requires minimal sanding.
We assembled our frame and then added the sides, middle dividers and bottom piece.Everything was assembled with pocket hole screws so that the screws would be invisible from the outside. When putting your doors together you want to make sure that they are perfectly square. If not, then you will have a hard time fitting them in the openings. Ask me how I know! 😉
Once the unit was put together, it was time for the stain. This was a time consuming process, not only because the console is a big piece, but also because we used two different stains to achieve our desired color. To get that gorgeous Restoration Hardware grey washed wood, we first applied a layer of Rustoleum Weathered Gray and immediately wiped off the excess with a rag. Then we applied a layer of Minwax Provincial and let that sit for about 10 minutes before wiping off the excess.
After the stain dried completely, I wiped on two layers of polycrylic. After that dried I drilled holes in the doors for the hardware. I loved the look of these pulls from Home Depot. They have an antique brass finish and I think it goes with the stain very nicely. This is definitely where the bulk of the project budget went to, with there being so many pulls (24 in all!).
We had to attach some cleats to the sides for the door hinges to attach properly. We just used some scrap wood and pocket hole screwed them to the frame and then attached our hinges.
And with that, we were finished! I may go back and add a thin layer of plywood to close up the backs (You can just nail that into the back of the frame and then drill a small circle for your cords to run through). But for now, we’re good! My son is a pretty avid video gamer so the consoles could use the extra airflow. 🙂
The doors open to a large amount of space inside. You can add shelves but we opted not to for now. Our bins fit everything we have very nicely.
Thanks for reading along with another DIY! I look forward to sharing another one with you in the coming weeks! For now, you can follow along with me on my blog or any of my social media sites below.Domestically Speaking