I’ve got a gorgeous Winter Pom Pom Wreath that has beautiful neutral cream colors for winter. I have always loved the look of a yarn pom pom wreath, so I thought I’d have fun and make one. This is a fun DIY craft project and the pom poms are perfect for making while you get cozy and watch your favorite movie.
I picked out some gorgeous wool yarns in some dark gray and light gray shades plus a winter white and a beautiful tan with flecks of gray in it at my local craft store.
I thought they blended all beautifully.
Pom Pom Wreath Materials:
Affiliate links are provided for your convenience.
How do you make pom poms out of yarn?
- I used a piece of cardboard cut down to the size I wanted. I used two different size pom poms for this wreath. So I had one piece of cardboard that was 3″ long by 1.5″ wide and the smaller one was 2″ long by 1″ wide.
- In the middle of both of the long ends you want to cut a slit. Cut a piece of yarn long enough for 2-3 inches to over hang on both sides and tuck in the yarn on both slits.
- Start wrapping the yarn around the cardboard. You don’t want to wrap your yarn tightly as you will be sliding it off at the end. Work from one side to the other and back and forth a few times till you have a nice chunky wrapped piece.
- Once you have a nice chunky wrapped piece of cardboard cut your yarn. I tuck the end into my wrapped yard. Now you want to loosen the ends of the horizontal piece of yard that you put through the slits in the cardboard. Slowly slide the wrapped yarn off the cardboard keeping that horizontal piece of yarn in place.
- Here you can see what it looks like when you’ve slid it off the cardboard. The bundle of yarn is still intact and that horizontal piece is still centered.
- Take the ends of the horizontal piece and tie them tightly together. Then tie it again.
- Hold the ends of the piece you just tied together to the side. When you tied the piece together it created loops. Take a scissors and cut through the center of the loops. Keep cutting till you’ve cut through them all. Once you’ve done that you’ve got your pom pom. Your pom pom will need a little hair cut. Trim it a little till it looks uniform in size.
Once you’ve made up all your pom poms start attaching them to the wreath form with straight pins. I kept alternating the colors and using the different sizes to mix it up.
I put the bigger pom poms in first and then filled in the smaller spaces with the little pom poms, like the sides of the wreath.
Once you’ve attached all your pom poms you’ll have a beautiful Winter Pom Pom Wreath!
Oh, how I love its fluffiness! I think it’s a great addition to your winter home’s decor. Pompom wreaths are so fun to make but a pom pom garland would be so cute across your mantel too.
I think this yarn pom pom wreath going out on our front door, but for now it’s hanging in our family room.