I love the combo of cherry and almonds and this Cherry Almond Pastry recipe is just delicious. If you think making pastry is too hard, I promise you can do it!
I know when you heard the word pastry you think complicated, right? Yes, there are multiple steps to making pastry, but if you take it step-by-step it’s doable.
How to Make Cherry Almond Pastry
The first step is creating the base crust.
Get your flour in a bowl.
Add your cold butter chunks to your flour. Use a pastry cutter or 2 forks to break it down to little crumbly pieces.
Add the cold water. The dough will still be very crumbly.
Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop the dough out and put on some parchment paper. Use your fingers or a small rolling pin to create the circle crusts for your pastry.
Now its time for the almond puff filling layer. Start with water and butter in a saucepan. Let the butter melt over low heat. Once it comes to a boil it’s time to add flour.
After you’ve added the flour turn off the heat! Stir and keep stirring until the dough starts to form a ball.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined. Then add that heavenly smelling almond extract and stir.
Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the paste onto each crust circle. Use an off-set spatula to spread it to the edges.
Scoop a tablespoon of cherry pie filling on top of each circle.
Bake and then finish with a drizzle of almond icing.
Man these are good!!! It’s so hard to not eat them all!!!
Cherry Almond Pastry
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp water
Almond Paste Top
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract more if you love it
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend together the flour and butter with a pastry cutter or 2 forks. The mixture will be coarse and crumbly.
- Add the water. Divide it into two balls.
- Add parchment paper to 2 cooking sheets. Use a ½ cup measuring cup to scoop the crust onto the parchment paper, 5 on each cookie sheet.
- Use your fingers or a small rolling pin to press the crust dough down and into a circle, about 3-4 inches wide.
Almond Paste Layer
- In a saucepan, bring to boil over low heat the water and butter. Add flour when the water comes to a boil. Turn off the heat and continue to stir until the batter leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the eggs, one egg at a time and then add the almond extract.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the almond paste onto each of the crust circles. Use on offset spatula to spread the paste to the edges.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of cherry pie onto the top of each circle.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the edges just start to brown.
- Mix together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and water until you have a thick icing to drizzle. Use a fork to drizzle the icing on top of each pastry after the pastry has cooled about 5 minutes.