These Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks are packed with flavor, have a great textured exterior, and of course, plenty of that cheese pull in the center! These Panko Mozzarella Sticks are similar to Fried Mozzarella Sticks.Jump to Recipe
We bought our air fryer last year and we use it all the time! We love it for heating up our Costco frozen chicken nuggets and chicken strips, my son loves to make his wings (frozen) in it, french fries are great (both frozen and fresh), and I’ve used it with frozen, store-bought mozzarella sticks. I bought an 8-quart one so it could hold enough for the family.
Here’s the one I purchased: My 8 quart Air Fryer (affiliate link)
Mozzarella Stick Ingredients
These mozzarella sticks only take a few items and there’s a good chance you might have them on hand right now!
- string cheese
- panko bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- nonstick spray
Best Temperature for Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer
Now I did some testing, and I found 390 was the best temperature for air frying mozzarella sticks. It gave the cheese sticks a great crunch on the exterior, and the cheese just started to ooze out on a couple of the mozzarella sticks… perfection in my book!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- air fryer
- 6 string cheese cut in half
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- On a small plate, I pour my flour.
- In a bowl, add the egg and milk, whisk together.
- On a large plate (or I like to use a pie pan) add the panko, pepper, salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix together.
- After you've cut your string cheese in half it's time to start assembling. Take one piece and roll it in the flour.
- Then take that piece of floured string cheese and dip it into the egg mixture, making sure it's coated.
- Then move it to the panko mixture, turning it, and or scooping the panko mixture on the cheese until it's fully coated.
- Move the coated string cheese to a freezer-safe container. Repeat until all the string cheese halves have been coated.
- You will have left-over egg and panko mixture, keep those you're going to double dip soon!
- Place your cheese sticks in the freezer for about 45 minutes.
- Now it's time to double-dip. Take the frozen sticks and dip them into the egg, and then back into the panko mixture. Repeat until all the cheese sticks are double-dipped.
- Place back into the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees.
- Once preheated, spray the bottom of the air fryer with non-stick spray and place the frozen cheese sticks inside. Spray the top of the cheese sticks with non-stick spray.
- Cook the cheese sticks in the air fryer for 6-7 minutes, you'll want a couple of the cheese sticks to have started them oozing.
- Serve hot with some warm marinara sauce.