Happy Sunday Friends! Today I have my all-time favorite soup to share with you guys. I’m one of those people who only likes to eat soup when it’s cold out. Is that strange? I can’t think of eating soup when it’s hot out… Which here in Southern California leaves a small window for me to make and enjoy this delicious Potato Cheese Soup.
Potato Cheese Soup
This makes a good size batch… 7-8 large bowls.
It reheats beautifully!
I love making a big batch during a cold week and having it for lunch each day.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 8 cups milk
- 5 large baking potatoes baked, cooled, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 10-12 slices bacon cooked and chopped into pieces
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper more if desired
- In a large pot melt your butter. Stir in flour; continuing to stir until smooth and bubbling. Allow the flour to cook out, approximately 30 seconds... keep stirring.
- Slowly add milk while stirring constantly until sauce has thickened (this part takes a while, but it will thicken)
- Add the cooked potatoes to the pot. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Then you can reduce the heat and let it simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add your remaining ingredients and stir until all the cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you guys love it as much as I do.
Have a great rest of your weekend!