This Potato Cheese Soup is my all-time favorite soup to share with you guys. I’m one of those people who only likes to eat soup when it’s cold out. Is that strange? I can’t think of eating soup when it’s hot out… Which here in Southern California leaves a small window for me to make and enjoy this delicious soup. This easy potato soup recipe is loaded with potatoes, lots of cheese, sour cream, and of course bacon, so LOTS of flavor!
This creamy potato soup recipe makes a good size batch… 7-8 large bowls.
It reheats beautifully!
I love making a big batch during a cold week and having leftovers for lunch each day.
Ingredients For Creamy Potato Cheese Soup
- potato chunks (russet potatoes or frozen potatoes)
- medium cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
Preparation For Creamy Potato Cheese Soup
The base of this potato soup recipe is very simple and can easily be changed up if you wanted. I’ll give you some ideas later. I typically start to cook bacon. I like to make my bacon in the oven on parchment paper. I will cook it at 400 minutes for 20-30 minutes depending on the thickness of the bacon.
To start the soup, melt butter in a large pot or large dutch oven over medium heat. Once the butter melts, you want to sprinkle the flour on top of whisk it well for about 1 minute.
Then you will slowly start to add the whole milk, whisking as you add. I typically add the first two cups and then gradually add the rest at about a 1/2 of a cup at a time.
Once all the milk has been added it’s time to add the potatoes. Now, most of the time I go the easy route and use those small potato chunks that you can find near the hashbrowns. You can bake up the potatoes in the oven, let them cool, then peel and cut the russets into chunks. I personally find that the soup tastes the same with either option. If you use the frozen potato pieces, they become tender very quickly in the hot soup.
After the soup mixture comes to a boil, you want to reduce the soup to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring about every minute.
While the soup simmers, grate the cheese or cut it into small chunks. I like medium cheddar cheese, but you could use sharp cheddar cheese if you like. Then I chop up the crisp bacon into small, bite-sized pieces.
After the soup has simmered for 10 minutes, add the salt, pepper, cheese, bacon, and sour cream. Stir the ingredients in. Continue to let the soup simmer, stirring every minute until the cheese completely melts.
Creamy Potato Cheese Soup
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 8 cups milk
- 5 large baking potatoes baked, cooled, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10-12 slices bacon cooked and chopped into pieces (I love it cooked crispy)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated, medium cheddar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper more if desired
- green onions optional to top your soup
- In a large pot melt your butter. Stir in flour; continue to stir until smooth and bubbling. Allow the flour to cook out, approximately 30 seconds… keep stirring.
- Slowly add milk while stirring constantly until sauce has thickened (this part takes a while, but it will thicken)
- Add the cooked potatoes to the pot. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Then you can reduce the heat and let it simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add your remaining ingredients and stir until all the cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you guys love this cheesy potato soup recipe as much as I do.
Easy Soup Change
The base of this soup is a great creamy potato soup that you can change up the flavors of. After the soup simmers for 10 minutes you could add ham for a great ham and potato soup. If you want cheese with that, add the cheddar cheese too. You could also add veggies, like carrots to jazz it up.