These Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies are perfect for Christmas!!! We love pistachios! The color combo of this cookie with cranberries and pistachios is perfect for the upcoming holidays. The two work perfectly with a shortbread cookie… so check out these delicious Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies.
Chopping the Pistachios and Cranberries
Such a beautiful color combo! You’ll start by chopping these down in your food processor. This helps to give the cookies such great texture. I do them separately, one at a time.
Process Together Your Dry Ingredients.
After you’ve pulsed the cranberries and pistachios, put them aside for the dry ingredients. Add your flour, sugar, and salt to the food processor and pulse just a couple of times until it comes together.
Add the Cold Butter
Then you will add the chunks of butter to the food processor with the flour mixture still in it. Pulse until it becomes a crumbly mixture.
Almond Extract and Orange Juice
Drizzle in the almond extract and the orange juice into the food processor. Give it a couple more pulses to mix those ingredients in.
Adding the Cranberries and Pistachios
After all your ingredients have been through the food processors it’s time to finish off the shortbread cookies.
Transfer the ingredients in the food processor to a large bowl. Add the cranberries and pistachios and fold them in until they are evenly distributed.
Chilling the Cookie Dough
You’ll dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead it into a log. Then wrap them in plastic wrap and let them chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Preheat The Oven
When you are ready to make your cookies you’ll want to preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then you will prep your baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, unwrap the dough log and slice your cookie dough 1/4″ thick with a sharp knife, and bake.
Aren’t they just gorgeous… I can’t get over the red and green! They make the perfect Christmas cookie!
They’re just as beautiful baked and have such great flavors. You can serve them at room temperature or store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Freezing Your Cookies
If you want to prep your cookies in advance, I would recommend placing the wrapped log of dough into your freezer instead of the refrigerator. The day before you want to bake up your cookie recipes, let the dough thaw in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup butter chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 Cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 Cup pistachios
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Pulse the cranberries a couple of times in a food processor and transfer to a bowl.
- Now repeat the process with the pistachios and set aside in a bowl.
- Now. to the same food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt and give it a 2 or 3 pulses till nicely mixed.
- Next throw in the butter and pulse till it resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Drizzle in the almond extract and orange juice and give it a couple more pulses to mix.
- Now fold in the chopped pistachios and chopped cranberries.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a floured surface, knead and roll into a log. Cling wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Cut into 1/4 inch discs. Arrange on cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes till golden brown around the edges.
- Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.