I love this Baked Cinnamon Apple Chimichanga! I love apple recipes! Especially this time of the year. There’s just something about apples and autumn. There’s just something so comforting about it. Today’s recipe was an idea I had while making one of my kid’s favorite treats… cinnamon sugar tortillas. It’s just kicked up a fall notch!
Prepping Apple Cinnamon Chimi
This dessert is so easy and tastes delicious too! You only need a few ingredients to make this Baked Cinnamon Apple Chimichanga. You need apple pie filling, flour tortillas, butter, and cinnamon sugar.
I start by putting some butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the butter melts, I place a tortilla into the pan. Cook the tortilla for 1-2 minutes and then flip once the tortilla is golden brown. Cook on the other side for a couple of minutes.
Immediately after removing the tortilla from the pan, place cinnamon sugar all over one side of the tortilla. Then take a couple of tablespoons of filling and place it in the center of the tortilla.
Fold the bottom of the tortilla and top of the tortilla and then fold in the sides of the tortilla. Then place in a baking dish with the tortillas seam facing down to help it seal.
Repeat with the remainder of the tortillas. Then you bake them in the oven.
I’m a firm believer that an apple dessert recipe needs vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce… right? The warm chimichangas just pair so well with the ice cream and caramel.
Other Ways to Cook the Apple Cinnamon Dessert Chimichangas
If you prefer you could cook the wrapped tortillas in hot oil. You can heat oil over medium-low heat. I like to check if my oil is hot enough by putting a little piece of tortilla in the oil and see how quickly it begins to boil. I would cook a couple at a time in your pan in about an inch of oil. It will only need a couple of minutes per side to get that crispy perfection.
Another option would be to finish the apple cinnamon chimichangas recipe in the air fryer. I would preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees and cook them for 5 minutes.
Alternatives to Apple Pie Filling
This recipe can easily be changed up with other pie fillings too… cherry, lemon… so many options! But if you’re going with apple and don’t want to use a pie filling in a can you can create your own filling. You can find my apple pie filling recipe here. You only need some granny smith apples, brown sugar, and some lemon juice. You can add additional flavors you love too.
Apple Cinnamon Chimi a la mode with Caramel
- 6 flour tortillas
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 6 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
- 1 can of apple pie filling
- Put 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Add 1 flour tortilla and cook until lightly browned on each side.
- Remove tortilla and immediately sprinkle one side of tortilla with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar.
- Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of apple pie filling onto the center of the cinnamon sugar tortilla.
- Fold in the top and bottom of the tortilla and then fold in the sides to create your wrap.
- Repeat Steps 1 -5 for the remaining 5 tortillas.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Serve immediately while warm. Optionally serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Thanks for stopping by friends! Have a wonderful weekend.