Happy Monday Friends! Boy do I have a great ice cream recipe for you today. How about Banana Cream Pie Ice Cream with vanilla wafer chunks! Oh yes!!!
Banana Cream Pie Ice Cream
During the summer we love to drag in the ice cream maker from the garage. We have one of the fun older ones where you use the rock salt. It’s one of those fun family traditions during the summer!
My husband had mentioned a few times lately how much he was wanting some Banana Cream Pie… so I thought I’d try my hand at creating a Banana Cream Pie Ice Cream recipe complete with chunks of vanilla wafers.
So the kiddos and I headed off to Walmart to pick up all the ingredients I needed for the recipe plus some household items we needed. While there we picked up some Wet-Nap wipes in the napkin aisle… because we all know ice cream in the summer is messy!
This Banana Cream Pie Ice Cream is loaded with banana puree and delicious chunks of vanilla wafers… just like banana cream pie!
Banana Cream Pie Ice Cream RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe bananas pureed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups broken vanilla wafer chunks
- Pour heavy cream and half-and-half into a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until it's barely simmering. Turn the heat to low.
- Whisk together the 8 egg yolks, sugar and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- Slow add the heated cream and half-and-half mixture to the egg mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking quickly to combine.
- Continue slowly adding the heated mixture to the egg mixture while whisking until about 2/3's has been added. Then slowly pour, while whisking, the egg mixture into the remaining heated cream and half-and-half on the stove.
- Turn the heat up to medium-low and continue to stir until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Let it cool for about 20 minutes before covering and placing in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day puree the bananas till smooth adding the lemon juice to help with the browning.
- Mix the banana puree into your refrigerated ice cream base. Then pour your ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and prepare as directed.
- Once the ice cream has reached a soft serve consistency add the vanilla wafer chunks. Let the ice cream maker finish mixing and then place in the freezer to finish hardening.
Having Wet-Nap wipes on hand were a must as the kiddos finished off their bowls… perfect to wipe off their messy fingers and mouths. Wet-Nap is now softer and stronger than before which makes cleanup even easier and it has aloe to keep their skin soft. Right now you can save $.55 on Wet-Nap products.(while supplies last)
I hope you get to enjoy making some homemade ice cream this summer and if you like Banana Cream Pie I hope you get a chance to try out my recipe.
Thanks for stopping by friends!