Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls are an easy way to get those cinnamon rolls you love! I have a deep love for cinnamon rolls, so a recipe that makes them easier I am all for! Who doesn’t love waking to that smell of cinnamon rolls baking? I know it’s a sure way to kick off a great weekend in our home. This would pair perfectly with my High Protein Low Carb Breakfast Casserole.
Using a cake mix to craft cinnamon rolls might sound unconventional, but trust me, the results are downright heavenly. This recipe combines the convenience of a cake mix with the comforting flavors of classic cinnamon rolls, making it an absolute must-try for both novice bakers and seasoned pros.
Ingredients You Will Need
- cake mix
- warm water
- brown sugar
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to Make Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
Prepare the Dough:
You will combine the flour, cake mix, yeast and salt. Whisk lightly until combined.
Add the warm water and mix.
Add some more flour and knead in the bowl.
Sprinkle your workspace with an additional 1/4 cup flour and knead the dough until soft and elastic (about 5-6 minutes). If you prefer you can use a stand mixer with a dough hook to do the kneading for you.
Rolling and Filling:
Roll dough into a rectangle and smear with butter.
Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mix.
Roll ‘Em Up:
Roll the dough and slice into cinnamon rolls. Then they are placed in a greased pan and covered for 15 minutes.
Bake to Perfection:
Add the Finishing Touch:
Bake for 15 minutes and then allow the cinnamon rolls to cool for a few minutes before you drizzle with the icing. If you want a richer cinnamon roll, then you could make a cream cheese frosting.
Tips for Extra Pizzazz
- Get Creative: Experiment with different cake mix flavors to infuse your cinnamon rolls with a unique twist. Chocolate cake mix, anyone?
- Add Nuts or Raisins: If you’re a fan of texture and extra flavors, sprinkle chopped nuts or raisins before rolling the dough for an added delight.
Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
- 9×13 pan
- 5 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cake mix
- 2 packages quick-rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 6 tbsp butter softened and divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk more if needed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13 x 9 jelly pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 4 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and salt. Whisk lightly to combine.
- Add the warm water and mix until well combined.
- Add 3/4 cup flour to the mixture and knead for one minute in the bowl. Sprinkle your workspace with an additional 1/4 cup flour and knead the dough until soft and elastic (about 5-6 minutes).
- Roll the dough out to the shape of a large 8 x 16 rectangle on a lightly floured surface and spread 4 tablespoons of softened butter all over the dough.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Generously sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the buttered dough
- Starting with the long side of the dough, roll into a log and pinch the ends to seal tightly.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices and place on the greased pan. Cover loosely with a towel and place in a warm place for 15 minutes or until the rolls double in size.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the rolls are a light golden brown in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before drizzling the vanilla glaze on top.
- Add the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk. Mix well. If you prefer a thinner glaze, add another tablespoon of milk.
- Drizzle the vanilla glaze on top of the warm cake mix cinnamon rolls and ENJOY!!