I thought I’d share with you guys this High Protein Low Carb Breakfast Casserole recipe that my husband created. This breakfast casserole is packed with 37 grams of protein per serving and it’s great to make at the beginning of the week and you can easily warm up a piece each day for breakfast.
What to eat for breakfast on a high protein diet
Low-carb breakfast recipes are a great way to start your day! This casserole is packed with eggs, turkey bacon, and sausage patties. Another option is to swap out the turkey bacon for ham. So you can totally customize this breakfast casserole with proteins you love and/or veggies too.
We all have busy schedules, and the mornings are also go-go-go, so having a high protein breakfast prepared for your week is a huge game-changer. I will make up this casserole on Sunday night and my husband will have breakfast ready for the next six days. We use full sausage patties, but if you prefer, or you want smaller serving sizes, you could easily cut up the sausage patties or cut up sausage links.
How to Make a High Protein Casserole
You can find all the details on how to make this low carb, high protein breakfast ideas below. I love that you can totally change the casserole up with the items you love!
The base of this casserole is a lot of eggs, 2 dozen eggs!!! I use turkey bacon for this recipe, but you definitely use regular bacon, even peppered bacon if you like some spice! I would recommend cutting up the pieces of bacon into bite-sized pieces, but I would precook the regular bacon in a frying pan. You don’t need it super crispy but cooked through before you use it for the recipe.
Another option would be adding cheese! If you love the taste and texture cheese adds, you can put your favorite cheese in this casserole. I would add it to the scrambled eggs before pouring them into the dish. I would use about 1 cup of cheese. A medium cheddar would be great, or Colby Jack, or even Pepper Jack cheese. I would grate the cheese before adding it though.
Most veggies have some carbs, but you definitely could add some into this. Some options would be diced tomatoes, bell pepper, asparagus, diced onions, etc. We’ve added spinach to this dish too. You can freeze spinach and then put it into the food processor with a little water, then add it to the egg mixture.
High Protein Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
- 24 eggs
- 1/2 lb turkey bacon He also makes it with ham instead. Fill the bottom of the pan with bite sized chunks
- 6 sausage patties frozen, cooked
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease the bottom and sides of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Cut 1/2 pound (up to 1 full pound if you want more) of turkey bacon into bite sized pieces and fill the bottom of the greased casserole dish.
- Crack 24 eggs in a separate bowl and beat with a whisk. Pour on top of your turkey pieces.
- Add 6 sausage patties on top of your eggs. They will float on top. He spaces them out so the casserole can easily be cut into 6 servings.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- He cuts his into 6 servings and just re-warms them in the microwave each morning. He loves adding hot sauce to his.
I hope this gives you some low-carb breakfast ideas and I hope you guys love it too!