This Christmas Muddy Buddy recipe can not only make a festive holiday gift, but it also makes a tasty treat for a wintertime holiday party. Delicious peanut butter with your favorite Chex cereal, powdered sugar, and fun and colorful Christmas candies make such a jolly treat.
Muddy buddies are the perfect treat to get the kids involved with making. It’s a quick and easy treat to make. It’s a great gift idea and also perfect for holiday parties. Muddy Buddies are also known as reindeer chow and puppy chow. Whatever you call it, I call it delicious!
- Chex cereal (whatever your favorite is, I use rice Chex or corn Chex)
- peanut butter (you want to use creamy peanut butter)
- milk chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- Christmas candies like M&M’s, sprinkles, etc
Directions for Christmas Muddy Buddies
In a large microwavable bowl add the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter. Melt in the microwave. I set the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power.
Stir after every 30 seconds and repeat until the peanut butter mixture is completely melted and can be stirred together.
Pour the Chex cereal on top of the melted chocolate peanut butter mixture and gently toss to coat the chex mix cereal.
Pour mixture into a gallon size plastic bag and add the powdered sugar to it. Seal the bag and shake to get the Chex cereal to get completely coated with the powdered sugar.
Then I added Christmas red and green M&M candies, both regular and peanut butter Christmas M&M’s. I also added red and green candies and mini green Christmas trees. Toss to disperse in the bag.
Pour into a large bowl if you plan to serve right away or keep in a resealable food-storage container until you want to enjoy it.
It makes a perfect holiday treat! I love the bright red and green of the holiday M&M’s. You could also add:
- peanut butter chips
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
Christmas Muddy Buddy Recipe
- 9 cups Chex cereal rice, corn, etc which ever is your favorite
- ⅔ cup peanut butter creamy
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M & M regular
- 1 cup M & M peanut butter
- sprinkles, mini trees, etc
- In a microwave safe bowl add the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and 50% power. Stir and add more time if needed until the mixutre has melted and can be stirred.
- Add vanilla to the melted mixture and stir.
- Add mixture to Chex cereal. Gently stir until the cereal has been coated.
- Put the coated Chex cereal into a gallon size plastic bag. Add the powdered sugar. Seal and shake.
- Add the Chrismtas candies and shake.
- Serve or store in an airtight container until you're ready to eat.
I hope you get to enjoy this festive Christmas Muddy Buddy (also known as Christmas puppy chow recipe) soon!