I love bar cookies! I think it’s because they are so much quicker and easier than drop cookies… plus they are usually much thicker and chewier. So I’ve got my Grandma’s Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars to share. This bar cookie has a delightful, light lemon flavor with a lemony icing drizzled over the top…. so good!
Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
My Grandma’s recipe is for drop cookies, so if you prefer you can make this cookie recipe that way, you’ll just need to shorten the cooking time to 10-12 minutes.
Here’s the Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars recipe…
Grandma’s Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
Lemon Sugar Cookie
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest if desired
- 4 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- Spray a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together your flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the sugar, butter and oil together.
- Add the eggs and mix in one at a time.
- Add the vanilla and the lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on a low speed until combined.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, until top is lightly browned and the center is set.
Lemon Icing Directions
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Once the cookie bar has cooled, drizzle the lemon icing on top and then serve.
- You can make drop cookies with this recipe. Just make sure to refrigerator the dough for at least 30 minutes. Drop by the teaspoon onto a slightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
These bar cookies are the perfect dessert to bring to a summer potluck or for a picnic in the park. They are light, yet just sweet enough for an afternoon treat and a summer dessert.
I hope you get a chance to try this recipe soon and if you love lemon recipes you’ll want to check these out…