A delicious Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole loaded with apples and spices. It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch. I love to make it the day before and make it as an overnight French toast casserole, which is perfect for Thanksgiving morning or Christmas morning.Jump to Recipe
Overnight French Toast Makes Breakfast Easy
During the holiday season having an overnight breakfast prepped and ready makes everything so much easier! You can prep this casserole and bake it right away to enjoy right then or you can prep the evening before and place plastic wrap on top and keep it in the refrigerator overnight until you are ready to bake it in the morning.
Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole Ingredients
- loaf brioche bread
- apple pie filling
- large eggs
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
French Toast Casserole Instructions
I love brioche bread because it’s so buttery and delicious! So for this French Toast Casserole, I use brioche, but for this recipe, you could use any bread that you love. I that the slices of brioche bread and stack about 4 slices and then cut each into about 9 pieces.
I butter a large baking dish and then spread the chunks of brioche bread throughout the pan.
I use a can of apple pie filling to make this recipe super easy. I dump the filling onto a cutting board and cut the chunks of apples into bite-sized pieces. Then sprinkle the apple pieces over the top of the brioche bread.
Then it’s time to make the egg mixture. You’re basically creating a custard mixture that will make this breakfast casserole super creamy when you bake it up.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, and ground cinnamon in a bowl.
Then you will pour the liquid over the bread cubes. If you want to bake the apple french toast bake the same day, you still want to let the bread soak in the liquid so all the flavorings can get into the bread. I would recommend 30 minutes.
Personally, I like to cover the casserole at this point with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight. Now this casserole has one more step that I like to do in the morning while the oven is preheating. I will pull the casserole out of the refrigerator and start the oven preheating. Then on the stovetop over medium heat I will melt butter. Once it is melted I add brown sugar, cinnamon, and a litlte salt. Stir until the all that goodness is deliciously combined. Then take this sugar mixture and drizzle it over the top of the casserole.
Once you preheat the oven, you will bake the Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole for 45 minutes to an hour until the tops of the bread have started to brown.
Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf brioche bread
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 8 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Slice the brioche bread into chunks. I sliced each slice of brioche into 9 pieces.
- Place the brioche chunks into a large buttered baking dish.
- Empty the apple pie filing onto a cutting board and cut the apple chunks into bite-sized pieces.
- Sprinkle the apple chunks over the top of the brioche pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and cinnnamon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the brioche chunks.
Baking Now or Later
- If you want to bake the french toast casserole now proceed to the topping section and preheat your oven to 350°.
- If you want to wait to the next morning to bake, cover with plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator until the next day.
- If your casserole has been in the refrigerator overnight, remove the place on your counter.
- Preheat your oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt your butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir until it's all combined, then drizzle on top of the breakfast casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 45-60 minutes until the top of the casserole is browning.
- Let it cool 15-20 minutes before serving.
Finishing your French Toast Casserole
I serve my french toast casserole warm with options of powdered sugar or maple syrup as finishing toppings. I personally think it is delicious on it’s own.