This Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Dumplings is a family favorite comfort food! I love that I can have this meal made in about 30 minutes, making it great for busy weekend meals. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, no worries, I have a stovetop Chicken and Dumpling recipe too.
You can customize this recipe with your favorite veggies too. I used onions and potatoes, this batch… but I love adding in carrots too.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Start by turning your pressure cooker to saute. If your instant pot shows when it’s ready, go with that, otherwise, it takes about 1-2 minutes to get hot. Add the olive oil and butter to the hot insert and let the butter melt.
Once melted, add the chopped onions. I love keeping a bag of frozen chopped onions in my freezer. You can find them with all the other frozen veggies in the grocery store. No more onion crying eyes for me!
Stir the onions frequently until they soften and turn translucent about 2 minutes.
Add the cut-up boneless, skinless chicken breast. Season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Let it cook 2 minutes, then stir around so the other side can brown. Let that side cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the frozen potatoes. This is another short-cut I love for chicken and dumplings and soup recipes. I buy the frozen potatoes and keep them on hand. You can find them need the hashed browns.
Sprinkle the flour on top and give everything a good stir.
Add the chicken broth, give it a stir and then turn off your instant pot. Place the lid on securely, make sure the valve is properly sealed and then turn the setting to either soup or manual and cook for 7 minutes.
Finishing the Chicken and Dumplings
While the soup part is cooking away, it’s time to prep the dumplings. They come together in just minutes. Flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, milk, and melted butter. Mix it all together and your dumplings are ready. Your dumpling mixture should be sticky. Depending on humidity you made need to add more milk or flour to get the right consistency.
Once the pressure cooker beeps that it’s finished cooking you want to do a quick release. PLEASE be careful!!! That steam will be HOT. I use the handle of a wooden spoon and gradually release the steam. I release it just a little, then close it back. Repeat. It will take about a minute to fully release all the steam. Don’t open until all the steam has released. Make sure to use a potholder or towel to protect yourself when you open the lid.
Put the instant pot back to saute and add the heavy cream to the pot, giving it a stir.
Use a tablespoon-sized scoop and drop the dumplings, start around the outer edges and work your way in. Once the dumplings are all in the pot, use a spoon to push them under the liquid.
Now it’s just time to wait. Let the dumplings cook on saute, with the lid off, for about 7-8 minutes. Turn off the instant pot and serve hot!
It’s delicious… it’s filling… it’s the ultimate comfort food!
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Dumplings
- pressure cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup onion chopped, I like to use the frozen chopped onions
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 large chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cup diced potatoes I like to use the frozen ones
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Turn the pressure cooker onto saute. Once hot, 1-2 minutes, add the butter and olive oil.
- Once melted, add the chopped onions. Stir frequently for 1-2 minutes until they have softened.
- Add the minced garlic. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add cut-up chicken breasts. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on top. Let the chicken cook for about 2 minutes. Stir and let the other side of the chicken cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the potato chunks. Stir. Add flour and stir. Add the chicken broth.
- Turn off the pressure cooker. Place the lid on, making sure it's secure and make sure the valve is sealed. Turn the pressure cooker on to either soup or manual and set the timer for 7 minutes.
- In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, pepper, salt, and Italian seasonings. Mix together. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Add the whole milk and melted butter. Gently combine. The dough should be damp. If it's dry, add another teaspoon of milk and stir again. Repeat until the dough is just damp.
Chicken and Dumplings
- Once the timer goes off, do a quick release. Make sure to do this safely. I recommend using the end of a wooden spoon and to let out a little pressure at a time. It will take about 1 minute to release all the pressure.
- Turn off the pressure cooker and turn it back onto saute.
- Add the heavy cream and stir.
- Drop in the dumpling mix, using a tablespoon. Start at the outer edges and work your way in. Dunk each of the dumplings under the soup liquid to get them moist. Set a timer for 7 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I hope you get a chance to try this Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Dumplings soon!