This weekend we’ve been enjoying my Grandma’s Coffee Cake. My oldest daughter and I made one on Friday afternoon so we could nibble on it all weekend long. This easy coffee cake has nutmeg as it’s predominate flavor, which I think pairs perfectly with any hot drink.
Grandma’s Coffee Cake
I love making my grandma’s recipe and I love getting to get my girls involved in making them. I love being able to pass along these treasured recipes to them.
This breakfast recipe is super easy to put together too – I’m betting you have all the ingredients on hand right now.
So here’s the recipe:
My Grandma's Coffee Cake recipe that has some great nutmeg flavor.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg fresh is best
- 3/4 cup oil I use canola you could also use melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the sugars, flour, nutmeg, oil and salt.
- Once combined remove 1 cup of this mixture and set aside (topping).
- In a separate container mix together the buttermilk, egg, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour/sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour this mixture into a baking dish. I used an 8"x 10".
- Sprinkle the 1 cup mixture you had set aside on top for the crumble.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
I love how the crumb, streusel topping is part of the recipe base. Just one more thing that makes this recipe SO EASY.
I hope you get a chance to try this delicious recipe.