The Most Delicious Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
This Apple Coffee Cake recipe not only has the best ingredients, but it’s also so easy to make! The cinnamon and apples keep this cake moist, while the streusel topping gives it extra flavor. The best Apple Coffee Cake!
This Apple Coffee Cake recipe is a spin on my Grandma’s Coffee Cake. I switched it up with cinnamon instead of nutmeg and adding apples. It is full of flavor and perfect to start your day paired with a warm drink.
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- baking powder
- baking soda
How to Make Apple Coffee Cake
I start by combining my dry ingredients. In a large bowl I start to add the sugar. I use both granulated sugar and dark brown sugar.
Then add the all purpose flour, 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and salt.
Whisk those dry ingredients together.
Add the oil. I use a canola oil. You can use melted butter instead if you prefer.
Mix the oil into the dry ingredients until it’s mix evenly. It’s creating almost a crumb-like mixture.
Then you want to take 1 cup of the crumbly dry ingredients and set it aside, this will be the crumb topping.
Then add a peeled, cored, and chopped apple to the rest of the dry ingredients still in the bowl. I like to use a tart apples when baking, so I used a Granny Smith apple, but a honeycrisp apple would be delicious too.
In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg.
TIP: If you don’t have buttermilk you can create some with milk and white vinegar. Pour just a couple tablespoons less than a cup of milk into the measuring cup. Then add white vinegar to get to that 1 cup measurement. Let the milk sit for 10-15 minutes. You will see that it’s thickened. Pretty cool!
Add the baking powder and baking soda to the buttermilk and egg. Whisk to combined.
Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until combined.
Pour the batter into an 8″x10″ baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
Then take the crumble topping that you set aside and sprinkle it on top of the cake batter.
Bake in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Then let your coffee cake cool to room temperature before slicing and enjoying with a hot cup of coffee.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container on your counter or in your refrigerator. If your family is like mine you won’t have too many leftover slices to store.
Apple Coffee Cake
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup oil or melted butter
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray an 8"x10" pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the oil to the dry ingredients.
- Mix together until combined. Once combined remove 1 cup of this mixture and set aside (topping).
- Then add the peeled, cored, and diced apple to the ingredients in the bowl. Toss the apples until evenly mixed and coated.
- In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk and egg.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda to the buttermilk mixture. Whisk until combined.
- Then add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredient bowl and mix to combine.
- Then pour the coffee cake batter into the spray baking pan.
- Then sprinkle the cup of topping that you set aside on top of the coffee cake batter.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 45 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.