Moist Pumpkin Coffee Cake With Streusel
This moist pumpkin coffee cake is topped with a delicious spiced streusel. It’s great for breakfast or dessert with coffee or tea. It’s the perfect way to start your fall weekend.
This coffee cake is a twist on my Grandma’s Coffee Cake recipe where I’ve added some pumpkin puree and some delicious fall spices.
- brown sugar
- all purpose flour
- vegetable oil or melted butter
- pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- baking powder
- baking soda
We Start with the Streusel
This coffee cake recipe from my grandma is unique in that you start by making the streusel topping, then you reserve one cup of it for the actual topping and then the rest is the start of the cake batter. I think this helps to create a delicious coffee cake that is full of flavor and in this case, great pumpkin spice flavor.
In a large bowl I whisk together the sugars, flour, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt. Make sure the dry ingredients are all evenly distributed. If you love ginger and/or nutmeg you could add 1/2 teaspoon at this point.
Then add the oil or melted butter and mix together.
Then take 1 cup of this mixture and set it aside (this is your streusel topping that you will sprinkle on top later).
Now for the wet ingredients, add the egg, baking powder, and baking soda to the buttermilk.
TIP: if you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can use regular milk and pour to just shy of the amount needed for your recipe. For this recipe I poured about 2 tablespoons shy. Then I added 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Let the milk and vinegar sit for about 5-10 minutes and it will begin to thicken just like buttermilk.
Drizzle the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and slowly mix them together. It will take some time to get the two to mix together, but it will.
Pour the batter into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Then take the crumb topping that you reserved and sprinkle that on top of the batter.
Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pumpkin coffee cake recipe comes out clean.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- 8"x10" pan
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2¾ cup flour
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup oil or melted butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree I used canned pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray an 8"x10" pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- Add the oil or melted butter to the dry ingredients.
- Mix together until combined. Once combined remove 1 cup of this mixture and set aside (streusel topping).
- Then add the pumpkin puree to remaining mixture in the bowl. Mix together until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk and egg.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda to the buttermilk mixture. Whisk until combined.
- Then add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredient bowl and mix to combine.
- Then pour the coffee cake batter into the spray baking pan.
- Then sprinkle the cup of streusel topping that you set aside on top of the coffee cake batter.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 50 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.