Quick and Easy Apple Cherry Crisp
Apple Cherry Crisp is the perfect dessert as we transition from late summer into early fall. Cherries quickly goes out of season here in Southern California by August and apples are coming into the season, so why not enjoy them both while you can.Jump to Recipe
I’m a huge fan of fruit crisps!!! I love that combo of the fresh fruit with that crunchy, sweet topping. Crisps are a great dessert to create because they are easy to make, and they make your home smell amazing as you bake it. Top that warm crisp with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and its perfection.
- lemon juice
- corn starch
- cherry pie filling
- brown sugar
- rolled oats
How do you make Apple Cherry Crisp?
If you want to make this recipe SUPER simple you could buy a can of cherry pie filling and a can of apple pie filling. Here is my Cherry Pie Filling Recipe that is simple to make.
For this apple cherry crisp, I peel and chopped up 3 Granny Smith apples into bite-sized pieces. Put your apples in a large bowl, then I drizzled about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice on top of the apples and toss the apples to coat.
Add some sugar and cornstarch to the cut-up apples and mix until the apples are coated.
Add the coated apples to a buttered baking dish.
Add your cherry pie filling to the apples. You can make homemade cherry pie filling or a can of cherry pie filling works great!
Mix the apples and cherries together until they are evenly incorporated.
Making the Crumble Topping
Then it’s time to make the crumb topping – super easy with melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats. If you love cinnamon and want to give it more of a fall flavor I would add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the crumble mixture. Stir the crumble ingredients together until mixed then sprinkle on top of the apple cherry mixture.
Can I Make this into a Pie?
Absolutely you can modify this recipe to make it a pie. You can use a store-bought pie crust or make your own. Then I shrink down the recipe. This recipe makes an 8×10 pan, so you need to reduce the filling to half. The crumb topping you could shrink in half too unless you really love lots of crumb topping. I would bake it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and check it.
Apple Cherry Crisp
- 3 granny smith apples cored, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- cherry pie filling link to my homemade recipe above or you can buy a canned version
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- Core, skin, and cut your apples into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the lemon juice, sugar, and corn starch to the apples and coat.
- Pour the apple mixture to the butted baking dish.
- Add the cherry pie filling on top of the apples and mix until combined.
- Melt the butter
- Add the flour, brown sugar, and oats to the melted butter and mix together.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the apple and cherries evenly.
- Bake in the preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool 30 minutes before serving warm.