These Instant Pot Sour Cream and Chives Mashed Potatoes are perfect for the holidays and throughout the year. They are so creamy and delicious. I love that you can make them up in the instant pot, free space on the stovetop, which we all know is a premium during holiday cooking.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot
Pressure cooker mashed potatoes are so easy to make! I used 3 lbs of potatoes for this batch, but you could easily double the recipe if you have a large instant pot.
I used russet potatoes, but you could yukon gold too… love those! Peel and wash your potatoes, then slice them into 1-inch pieces. No need to dice them up small!
Place your sliced potatoes into your pressure cooker liner and fill with water, until the water is just covering the potatoes. Add some salt.
Place your liner with potatoes into the pressure cooker, place the lid on in a locked position, seal the valve, and then select the “steam” option. Cook for 12 minutes.
After the 12 minutes of cooking, you want to do a “quick release” on the pressure. I use the end of a wooden spoon and slowly release the pressure. It will take about a minute for all the pressure to be released.
Drain the water from the liner. Then mash up the potatoes with a potato masher or if you prefer you can use a hand mixer.
Add the milk, butter, sour cream, chives, salt, and pepper.
Mix it all together until it’s smooth and creamy! Serve with some butter on top and a sprinkle of chives.
So simple to make, yet so creamy delicious!
Instant Pot Sour Cream and Chives Mashed Potatoes
- pressure cooker
- potato masher
- 3 lbs russet potatoes peeled and washed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp sea salt more or less to your preference
- ¼ tsp pepper more or less to your preference
- chives chopped
- Peel and wash your potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into 1-inch thick circles.
- Place into the pressure cooker liner and fill with water until the water is just covering the potatoes. Add 1 tsp salt.
- Place the liner in your pressure cooker. Lock the lid in position. Make sure the valve is sealed. Select the steam option and select 12 minutes for the time.
- Once the timer sounds that it's finished, use the end of a wooden spoon and slowly release the pressure. It will take about 1 minute.
- Drain the water. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a hand mixer.
- Add the milk, sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, and chives.
- Mix until combined and smooth. Serve hot.
These Instant Pot Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes are perfect for pair with your turkey, ham, or roast beef for the holidays.