Hi Friends! Merry Christmas Eve’s Eve. Today is when we usually start baking up a storm and prepping foods for Christmas. This last week I decided to try out a new-to-me recipe from my Grandma’s recipe collection… her Christmas Almond Cookies. Lots of my memories of my Grandma involve her preparing food. She loved cooking for her family and every time we arrived at her home we were greeted at the door by her and the wonderful smells coming from her kitchen. I’ve yet to be disappointed by her recipes plus I LOVE almond flavored treats, so I knew this would be a winner and it was!
Christmas Almond Cookies
It’s an easy cookie recipe that makes a light, chewy cookie with great almond flavor.
My Grandma's almond cookies with a fun Christmas color twist.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons almond extract
- Add flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and mix together with a whisk.
- In a mixer cream together the shortening and sugar. Once combined and fluffy add the egg.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer while on low. Once combined add the almond extract and mix together for 30 seconds.
- Roll the dough into small balls and put onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Make a depression on top of each dough ball and add a spot of red or green food coloring.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
It’s fun and festive with the red and green food coloring dot added.
So if you have almond lovers in your family this Christmas Almond Cookie is for them!
May you and your family have a wonderfully Merry Christmas!