I love grilled artichokes, especially during the summer. Preparing grilled artichokes is not hard, and it’s healthy too. Learn how to make grilled artichokes with these easy tips and tricks. This artichoke recipe makes a great vegetable side dish!Jump to Recipe
Fill a large pot about half full with water and start to bring it to a boil on high. Start by cutting some of the stem off your artichoke.
I like to leave about one inch of the stem attached.
Then you want to cut off the top of the artichoke. You are looking to expose the center section as shown above.
Next, you want to take your kitchen shears and trim the top of each artichoke leaf. You only need to cut off about 1/4″ of the tips. Remove the bottom outer leaves that aren’t in good condition.
Then slice the artichoke down the center with a knife. Aren’t the colors on the inside just gorgeous! The next step is removing the choke. That is the fuzzy center section. That includes that vibrant purple area and the space right below. Use a spoon to scoop out that area.
Repeat with the remainder of your artichokes.
Then slice a lemon in half and squeeze the lemon juice into the pot of boiling water. Gently put the lemon rind into the water also. Turn the water down to medium-low so you have a gentle boil.
Gently place your artichoke halves into the boiling water, and cut side down. Let them gently boil for 15 minutes. When finished remove and place cut side down to aid in draining the water. Your artichokes are tender at this point and you could just eat them boiled if you prefer. I like the extra flavor you get from the grill though.
As the artichokes are drying, heat up your bbq grill to about 400 degrees. Dap the artichokes with a paper towel to remove excess water.
After the artichokes have drained, brush them with olive oil. Then sprinkle with some sea salt and a little black pepper to taste.
Making Grilled Artichokes
Once your grill has preheated to 400 degrees, you can place the artichokes inside down on the grill. You don’t need to oil your grill grates as the artichokes are oiled.
How Long Do You Cook It?
Grill for about 10-15 minutes, until the leaf edges just start to char. Then I flip over the artichoke and grill the outside for about 5 more minutes.
Remove from the grill and allow the artichokes to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. I like to make a dipping sauce of melted butter and minced garlic and serve it in a small bowl.
How To Eat Grilled Artichokes
Pull off one of the artichoke leaves. They will be tender and pull off easily.
Dip the lower third of the artichoke leaf into the dip. Then use your teeth to pull the bottom of the artichoke off from the outside. It will slide off easily.
Other Ways to Finish Artichokes
- a squeeze of a lemon wedge
- a sprinkle of lemon zest
- rubbing with the inside of cloves garlic
Grilled Artichokes with a Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
- bbq or grill pan
- 2 artichokes
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil olive
Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Fill a large pot, halfway full of water. Bring to a boil on high.
- Cut the stem of each artichoke down to about 1/2 inch in length. Remove any leaves at the bottom that are damaged.
- Cut off the top of the artichoke, just until you are exposing the center.
- Trim the tips of the artichokes about 1/4" using kitchen shears. You only need to trim off the pokey tip, be careful!
- Carefully using a knife, slice the artichokes in half.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the artichoke, which is called the choke. It's that fuzz section in the center.
- Slice a lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the pot of boiling water. Carefully place the lemon halves in the water too. Then carefully place the artichokes, and cut side down into the boiling water. Turn the burning to medium-low and let the artichokes simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the artichokes and place them cut side down onto a paper towel to allow them to drain.
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.
- Pat the artichokes dry with a paper towel. Brush the inside of each artichoke with olive oil and finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Place the artichokes cut side down onto the preheated grill. Grill about 10-15 minutes until the leaves are just starting to char.
- Flip over the artichokes and grill on the backside for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Garlic Butter Dip
- In a small saucepan place the butter and minced garlic clove. Heat on low until the butter has melted. Stir every minute until finished. Pour melted butter into a serving bowl and serve will grilled artichokes.