Delicious Funnel Cake Fries
If you’re craving a sweet treat try this easy funnel cake fries recipe. This tasty treat is perfect for an after school treat or weekend snack.
I love funnel cakes and making funnel cake fries is just another fun way to enjoy them. I’ve made pumpkin spice funnel fries before but thought it would be fun to make regular funnel cake fries with a strawberry and chocolate dipping sauce.
What You’ll Need
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
You can make the batter from scratch for these funnel cake fries really quickly and they are so much fun to make!
Start by adding your dry ingredients to a bowl. Then I like to measure out the milk and add the eggs to the milk and whisk them together before adding the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Then you want to whisk everything together until the funnel cake batter is pretty smooth, a few lumps are just fine though. You don’t want to over mix.
How To Cook The Funnel Cake Fries
Then it’s time to heat up the canola oil or vegetable oil. You can use a deep fryer if you have one. I just use a skillet on my stovetop. I filled it with a couple inches of oil and heat over medium heat. Once I see that the oil is starting to have a shimmer I test some of the batter in the hot oil to see if it’s hot enough. The batter should immediately rise to the top and start to bubble.
To make the funnel cake fries you want to use a funnel or a piping bag to “try” to create a straight line. I used a medium funnel, which I picked up at a dollar store. I scoop the batter into the funnel with my finger blocking the bottom of the funnel. Once over the oil I move my finger to release the batter creating a line. If using a piping bag just pipe a line of batter into the hot oil. Of course be careful as the oil is very hot. As the batter hits the oil it will begin to twist, totally normal.
Put your finger back over the opening to stop the flow. Repeat until you have 4-5 “fries” in the oil.
I use a slotted spoon to flip the fries after about a minute, once the bottom was a golden brown. Repeat on the second side and them remove the fries and place on a paper-towel-lined plate to help the oil drain off.
Repeat until you’ve used up the batter.
The classic funnel cake topping is powdered sugar, which I sprinkled on top of all of the funnel cake fries. I also made some quick and easy favorite dipping sauces.
Strawberry Dipping Sauce – I just took some strawberry jam and placed it into a ramekin and heated it up for 20 seconds, then stirred to make it smooth.
Chocolate Dipping Sauce – is just chocolate syrup
Optional Dipping Sauce Ideas: Marshmallow fluff, cinnamon sugar, or even apple pie filling. You can find my recipe for that here: Apple Pie Funnel Cake
This fair-inspired funnel cake recipe is a delicious snack with pantry ingredients you might already have. It’s an easy recipe and so much fun to enjoy with your family. It really tastes just like you’re at the fair.
Funnel Cake Fries
- oil enough for 1-2 inches in a pan
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- In a bowl, add your flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk together.
- In a measuring cup, add your milk. Add your 2 eggs to the milk and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients in the center. Use a whisk to combine. It's ok if you have a few lumps still.
- Add your oil to your pan. You want 1-2 inches in the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Check the oil temp. You want to temp around 350 degrees. I look for shimmering oil and then test a little of the batter in the oil. If it floats and starts to bubble you are ready to go.
- Once the oil is ready, using a funnel, adding about a ladle of the batter into the funnel. Use a finger to plug the funnel hole.
- Bring the funnel over the hot oil and release your finger, creating a straight line about 4 inches long. Place your finger back over the opening and then repeat in the process until you have 4-5 straight lines of batter.
- Cook about 1 minute before flipping with a slotted spoon. It should be golden brown. Cook another minute.
- Then remove the funnel fries and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat the process until all the batter has been cooked.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with sauces above.