Don’t settle for store-bought peppermint popcorn. This easy three-ingredient recipe makes delicious minty popcorn that’s fun to make and fun to enjoy.
Fellow crafters and culinary enthusiasts this treat is not just delicious but also brings the cozy vibes of the holiday season. This Peppermint Popcorn recipe makes a great Christmas gift too! Bag it up and share it with your friends and family!
Ingredients and Supplies
- popcorn kernels
- chocolate melts (dark chocolate or milk chocolate) or chocolate chips
- candy canes (crushed up to sprinkle on top) – you could also use crushed peppermint candy
- brown paper bag (lunch bag)
- parchment paper
Making Peppermint Popcorn
Pop that Corn
Add your un-popped popcorn kernels to a brown paper bag and place in the microwave. My microwave took 2 minutes to pop, but each microwave will be different. Once I hear a 3-4 second pause between the pops, I stop the microwave. If you prefer you can use store-bought popcorn. You’ll want to use a plain popcorn though.
Pour the popcorn onto a sheet of parchment paper lined baking sheet. Mine was about 12 inches long. Let it cool as you move to the chocolate.
Melt your chocolate in the microwave. I usually heat for 30-second intervals and stir to see if it’s melted.
Then drizzle the melted chocolate on top of the popcorn on the parchment paper. Try to coat the popcorn evenly. Not all the popcorn will be coated, but a little on each is what you are going for.
Candy Cane Crunch
Immediately after drizzling the chocolate, sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top. The peppermint will stick to the melted chocolate. Now if you want to add additional festive sprinkles at this time you can. I added some red and green round sprinkles for additional color and fun.
Let the popcorn sit for 20 minutes to set up the chocolate. If you want it faster you can place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. After chocolate has set you can break the popcorn into clusters.
You can put the clusters into a large bowl and enjoy during a party or movie night. Or store in a baggies for a snack later. They also make a great Christmas gift, so you can put them in baggies or an airtight container for holiday deliveries.
- parchment paper
- ¾ cup popcorn kernels I used white popcorn but any will work
- 1 cup milk chocolate melts you can use dark or semi-sweet if you prefer
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- Christmas sprinkles optional
- Place the popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over twice to seal.
- Microwave for approximately 2 minutes. Listen for the popcorn to have gaps of time between popping. Once I hear 3-4 seconds between pops I stop the microwave.
- Pour the popcorn onto the parchment paper. Spread it out so it can cool.
- Place your chocolate melts into a microwave safe bowl or a glass measuring cup and microwave at 30-second intervals. Stir after each. Repeat until the chocolate is melted completely and smooth.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the popcorn. Try to get some chocolate on each piece of popcorn.
- Immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the melted chocolate so it will stick. If you want any additional Christmas sprinkles you can add those now.
- Let the chocolate set up for at least 20 minutes before breaking it into clusters for easier serving and eating.
Your peppermint popcorn is now ready to steal the show at your next holiday gathering, movie night, or solo snack attack! It’s a delightful blend of sweet and minty freshness that will leave your taste buds applauding for an encore. It’s the perfect holiday treat!