This Lemon Sponge Cake is from my Grandma’s recipe box. I love digging through her recipes and discovering her yummy treasures. I thought it would be a sweet nostalgic dessert for Mother’s Day weekend and this one was perfect for the blazing hot weekend we had here in So. Cal.
This sponge cake has a very light lemon flavor. It’s delicious on its own, but I adore lemon and strawberries together. So I made a strawberry syrup to top it off.
This cake is a great treat for the warm months ahead.
A beautiful sponge cake with a delightful lemon flavor topped with a delicious strawberry topping.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- juice 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, alternating with flour to the egg yolk mixture. Beat thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites until almost stiff, then add baking powder and salt. Beat until they will hold a point.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Place into an ungreased bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 for 25-35 minutes.
- For the strawberry syrup I added 3 cups of frozen strawberries, 1/4 cup of sugar, the juice of 1/2 of a lemon and 1 teaspoon of vanilla ti a saucepan. Heat on medium low until the berries are softened. Let the strawberries cool and then puree in the blender.