This pesto pizza recipe is made with simple ingredients. But the combination is amazing. Fellow pesto lovers, I’ve got another great recipe for you! This recipe combines two of my loves… pizza, and pesto into a delicious spin with Pesto Pizza.
What is pesto pizza sauce made of?
I love pizza… I mean I could eat it almost every day and not get sick of it. But a little variety is good, right. So why not replace your pizza sauce with pesto sauce? Pesto Sauce is a delicious herby sauce that is made of fresh basil leaves, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and olive oil. Here’s my homemade Pesto Sauce Recipe: PESTO SAUCE You can definitely buy storebought pesto sauce if you prefer. Costco makes a delicious one with its Kirkland brand.
How To Make Pizza Dough
I made my favorite pizza dough recipe up. My dough is easy to make and always turns out beautiful. It is a great pizza crust where you can add flavors you love, more garlic, more Italian seasoning, etc. So once the pizza dough had risen I got to work. You could definitely purchase pizza dough in your grocery store deli area or even the canned pizza dough will work, but I always prefer a homemade pizza dough.
What You Need
- pizza stone, pizza pan, or a baking sheet
- pizza dough (homemade or storebought)
- pesto sauce (homemade or storebought)
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- toppings you love (I just used tomatoes, but some cooked, sliced chicken breast and red onions would be a delicious addition)
Do you use a pizza stone for making homemade pizza? I do and LOVE them! We make homemade pizza almost every week, so our stone has gotten a LOT of use over the past 15 years and it’s still going strong. If you don’t have a pizza stone you could use a pizza pan or a large baking sheet.
After rolling out the pizza dough I place it on the preheated pizza stone and I spread some pesto sauce on it. How much pesto sauce you want is completely up to you. I know some prefer only a few teaspoons, like just dabs of pesto sauce. I love it and give the top of the dough a thin layer, about 5 tablespoons.
I kept it simple with just some mozzerella cheese and some Italian tomatoes (from a can). You could use cherry tomatoes or Roma tomatoes.
I finished up with a sprinkle of dried basil and baked it off… yummers!
- Favorite Pizza Dough
- Pesto Sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Italian Tomatoes I get mine in a can – already seasoned and delicious
- Dried basil
- Preheat your oven with your pizza stone at 400 degrees.
- Roll out your favorite pizza dough and place on your hot pizza stone.
- Spread the pesto sauce on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle your grated mozzarella cheese on top and finish with the Italian tomatoes and dried basil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 14-16 minutes.
Serve it hot and enjoy this delicious pesto pizza!
Is there anything better than anything with melted cheese?
I hope you get a chance to try this pizza shakeup.