I’m sharing an oh-so-yummy Strawberry Scone with lemon icing recipe… perfect for Springtime! I love spring because that’s the start of the prime strawberry season in California. If we’re lucky and it doesn’t get hot fast, the strawberry season can go far into summer. These scones made with cream are great for Mother’s Day breakfast in bed, brunch, baby showers, or anytime you want to share with your family a great strawberry treat.Jump to Recipe
Are Scones Hard to Make?
I love strawberries paired with lemons. I think they are such a great compliment to each other and this scone recipe with the lemon glaze is just delicious.
I know “scones” can sound intimidating, but I promise you can make them too! I think scones intimidate people because they don’t look right when you go to bake them. They look a little messy and unfinished, but something magical happens when they are baking. They are the perfect breakfast treat and the fresh strawberries make them even better!
Strawberry Scone Ingredients
- baking powder
- lemon zest
- vanilla creamer
Learn How to Make Strawberry Scones
I start by combining my dry ingredients in a large bowl. I take the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest and mix them together.
Add the cold butter chunks to the flour mixture and with a pastry blender, fork, or pastry cutter, you break down those butter chunks until the butter is the size of a pea.
Add the fresh, cut-up strawberries to the mixture and gently toss them so the strawberries get coated with the flour mixtures.
Drizzle the heavy cream and the vanilla creamer into the bowl. Vanilla creamer is one of those items I add to so many recipes because it gives such a great flavor and creaminess to the recipe. Mix the creams into the flour mixture until it just comes together.
Then dump the dough onto a floured work surface and just knead it together. Once it’s holding together I transfer it to a parchment-lined baking sheet and pat it into a circular shape, about 8 inches across. I like to use a pizza cutter to create the wedges. I slice the dough into 8 scones. Then brush the tops of each scone with the rest of the creamer and bake.
This strawberry scones recipe would work great with other berries too.
Strawberry Scones with Lemon Icing Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup strawberries finely chopped and dried well
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into little cubes
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla creamer liquid (coffee creamer)
- 1 tablespoon cream for brushing on top of scones
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon emon zest
- Preheat your oven to 425. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a medium sized bowl. Whisk till combined.
- Add your chilled butter cubes into the flour mixture and use either 2 butter knives or a pastry cutter to cut the butter pieces till they are pea-sized.
- Add your diced strawberries to the flour mixture and gently mix till they are coated with flour.
- Drizzle your cream and creamer into the flour mixture and stir till just combined.
- Dump your combined mix onto a floured surface and knead a few times, just till it comes together. Then move your kneaded dough to your parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Press your dough into an 8″ circle and then use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut it into 8 pieces (like cutting a pizza).
- Brush the scone tops with some creamer. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, milk and lemon zest. Mix until smooth.
- Once scones have cooled for 20 minutes drizzle with lemon icing.
Make sure to visit these other lovely ladies for their great Mother’s Day goodies…
Other Strawberry Lemon Recipes
Have a wonderful weekend friends! If you love strawberries and/or lemon here are some other great recipes to try.