Carrot Spice Cake made with Greek Yogurt is a great, spring cake. Not only is this carrot cake oh-so-yummy, but it’s a little healthier too. You get some protein in your cake when you use Greek yogurt. This cake is so simple with only a few ingredients too. Layers of carrot cake and cream cheese frosting is a delicious way to start Spring.Jump to Recipe
Greek Yogurt as a Substitute
Did you know you can replace the oil and eggs with Greek yogurt? Well, I thought I’d try it and add some carrots for good measure too… and the results were amazing!
What You’ll Need
You only need 4 ingredients to make this cake.
- Spice cake mix
- Greek yogurt
How to Make Carrot Spice Cake
Start by mixing together the water and the Greek yogurt in a large bowl. I found using a whisk or a fork made it easy to get a smooth consistency.
Add the water/Greek yogurt combo to the spice cake mix. Using a spice cake mix gives you all those great spice flavors: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Mix until combined.
Add the grated carrots to the bowl, and mix the batter thoroughly so the carrots are evenly dispersed. Pour into two 9-inch greased cake pans.
Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, and then let it cool before frosting with this delicious cream cheese frosting!
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting
This cream cheese frosting is so simple with three ingredients.
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
This carrot cake recipe is so moist and flavorful!
I made mine with my favorite cream cheese frosting, but if you were wanting to keep the calories lower you could use a fat-free whipped topping, etc. I love a beautiful layer cake.
- Raisins – if you love raisins in your carrot cake you could add 1/2 cup of raisins when you add the carrots to the batter.
- Coconut Shreds – you could add a 1/2 cup of coconut with the carrots or you could add coconut to the top of the cake.
- Crushed Pineapple – I would drain the pineapple really well and then coat the pineapple chunks with about 1/4 cup of flour before adding it to the batter.
- Chopped Pecans – great in the batter or on top of the cake.
I hope you have a chance to try this cake recipe, it really is so simple and so moist and delicious! I think it’s one of the best carrot cake recipes I’ve tried.
Carrot Spice Cake with Greek Yogurt
- 1 Box of Spice Cake Mix
- 5.3 ounce container of Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2-3 cups powdered suger
- Mix together the water and greek yogurt.
- Add water/yogurt to the spice cake mix and combine.
- Add in the carrots and mix till evenly disbursed.
- Pour mixture into two 9-inch greased cake pans. Bake at 350 for 20-23 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream your softened cream cheese and butter in a mixer for a couple of minutes until combined.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time. After 2 cups have been added and see if it’s sweet enough for you. If you want it sweeter add another 1/2 cup at a time until your desired sweetness.