This Cherry Cream Cheese Galette is an easy recipe that is perfect for a summer dessert. This galette is also great for brunch or a mid-day snack. It is an easy to make dessert that oozes rustic elegance. The crust base can be either homemade or in this case, I used a store bought pie crust. The cream cheese layer is simple to put together and the top layer is a can of cherry pie filling.
I love homemade pastry. There is something so satisfying about enjoying a slice for breakfast or in the afternoon. I add almond extract to the cream cheese layer because I just love almond. I especially love almond and cherries together, I think they go together so well. If you’re not a huge fan of almond though you could easily substitute it for vanilla.
What is a Galette?
You might be wondering what a galette is. I would describe it as a simple, rustic, flat pie. The base of the galette is typically pie dough. That dough is placed on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then you add your toppings, I am using a cream cheese layer and then cherries, but they usually have some type of fruit. The topping is not pushed to the edges, but you leave at least an inch of open pastry dough around the edges. Once the filling is on, then you fold the edges up on top of the topping, to create a rustic edge. It’s a delicious dessert and very easy to make.
- pie crust
- cream cheese
- almond extract
- cherry pie filling
Making the Galette
This cherry cream cheese pastry is seriously out of this world and once you’ve one made you’ll want to make it again and again.
I used prepared pie crust dough for this cherry galette recipe, but if you prefer to make homemade, go for it! I laid the 12-inch dough on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet.
In a medium bowl I combined the softened cream cheese, sugar, egg, and almond extract. If you don’t love almond, you can use vanilla extract instead.
Spread the cream cheese filling over the top of the pie dough, leaving about 1.5″ of the outer edge of the dough without the filling.
Then add the cherry filling directly on top of the cream cheese layer.
Finish by folding the edge of the dough up and on top of the cherry filling.
This is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream or served cold.
Other Galette Ideas
- Berry Mix
Galette are a great summer and fall fruit dessert option. Just thinking about what is seasonal.
Cherry Cream Cheese Galette
- hand mixer
- 1 refrigerated pie crust you make your own homemade if preferred
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg separated
- 1 tsp almond extract if you prefer vanilla you can substitute with vanilla extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep your cookie sheet by place a sheet of parchment paper on top.
- Take 1 refrigerated pie crust and open it up on top of the parchment paper.
- In a bowl, add your cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and almond extract. Use your hand mixer to mix until combined.
- Take the cream cheese mixture and smooth on top of the pie crust, leaving about 1 1/2 inches around the outside without the filling.
- Take your cherry pie filling and spread it on top of the cream cheese filling, leaving it off the outer 1 1/2 inch edge as well.
- Fold that 1 1/2 inch edge up on top of the filling. Work around until all the edges have been folded on top.
- Use the egg white and brush the crust edges.
- Bake in your preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the edges are started to turn golden brown.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Brunch Ideas with Cherry Cream Cheese Pastry:
I hope you get a chance to try this great pastry recipe soon. If you’re intimidated to try making a pastry, this is one of the easiest, so give it a try!