These Cake Mix Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are the ultimate fall treats! They are easy to make whoopie pies using a cake mix. I use a spice cake mix which goes beautifully with pumpkin. In between those two lovely layers of pumpkin spice cake in a luscious cinnamon cream cheese filling, that is amazing!
I have endless love for anything pumpkin spice. I just can’t get enough of it during the fall season. I especially love baking pumpkin spice goodies. Pumpkin Spice Bread, Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Icing, and Spiced Pumpkin Streusel Muffins are just a few of my favorites. There are so many options to try.
How to Make Cake Mix Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Spice cake mixes are a great fall cake mix, already loaded with so many of those great fall flavors we love.
Start by placing the spice cake mix in a bowl.
Then add the water to the cake mix.
Time to mix in the pumpkin puree. Then the flour.
And you finish with the eggs.
Mix well and then I use an ice cream scooper to scoop out 20 pumpkin spice whoopie pie halves. Keep about 1 inch between the batter.
How to Putting the Whoopie Pie Filling On
Once baked and cooled it’s time to put on that luscious cinnamon cream cheese layer! Cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and cinnamon is all you need. Whip it together really good.
I find that a small spatula or an off-set spatula works best for this.
You just want to plop it on there. Too much spreading around and that moist pumpkin whoopie pie is going to get messy!
A couple of scoops of the frosting and a little spread and you’re ready to make that whoopie pie sandwich.
YUM, right? Who wants a big bite of that Cake Mix Pumpkin Whoopie Pie?? They don’t disappoint, so I hope you get to try them soon.
Cake Mix Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie PIes
- 1 spice cake mix
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup pumpkin puree not canned pumpkin pie filling
- ½ cup flour
- 3 eggs
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl at the pumpkin spice cake mix. (you are not following the directions on the box).
- Add the water.
- Add the pumpkin puree.
- Add the flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the eggs. Then mix to combine.
- Then use an ice cream scooper to place 20 scoops of the batter onto the parchment paper, keeping about 1" between the batter to allow for some spreading.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, until the edges are just starting to brown and the center is firm.
- Remove and all to cool on the parchment for about 5 minutes. Then remove and move to a cooling rack for at least another 15 minutes.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting Layer
- In a mixer bowl add the softened cream cheese and butter. Mix on high until combined well.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, while the mixer is on low. Allow the powder sugar to incorporate before adding the next cup.
- Add the cinnamon and mix well.
- Once the whoopie pies have cooled, place a couple of dollops of the frosting on the flat side of one of the whoopie pies. Gently spread to just cover the surface.
- Add the other side of the whoopie pie to make a sandwich.
- Repeat for the remainder of the whoopie pies.